Street Vibrations in Northern Nevada???

• October 24, 2011 3:33 PM PDT
    Have you ever gone to Street Vibrations in the Reno/Sparks, NV?  Did you attend this year or hear about the shooting inside the Nugget?  Will the violence keep you away next year?

I went during the spring, but didn't make it due to the shooting this summer.  My wife, who was/is pregnant at the time and wanted to ride into Sparks to see everything, decided it wasn't the best idea for either of us to go.  I know things like that can happen anywhere, at any time, but why take the chance with a baby on the way.  Things were shut down in Sparks after the shooting and killing of a Hell's Angel leader, but things moved more to Reno along with more violence.  It won't keep me away next year, but if the gangs decide to bring guns and start shooting each other again, it's over for me.

What are your thoughts?
    • 1516 posts
    October 24, 2011 4:10 PM PDT
    I think this kind of crap is way to common, and yeah, with a baby on the way you are wise to stay away. I don't go and I am pretty close. It seems like it is just a commercial kinda run. Probably fun, but I like the old fashion rallys with tents and friends camped all around. I think about being a high maintenance kinda girl, but there are other things that are just more fun. I don't just sayin....
  • October 24, 2011 9:46 PM PDT
    It sucks that a few individuals can ruin it for the rest of us, but lets not forget that it is not always a 1%er who shoots up the event and makes it into the newspapers. We were camped about 100 yds from the double homicide/suicide at the Too broke for Sturgis rally in Az. this summer. We learned the next day of the tragedy when we were told the rally was cancelled. There is nothing any of us can do to stop someone from killing us with a stray bullet except to stay home and not attend rallies anymore because you might get hurt or killed. Everytime you throw your leg over that saddle and ride off down the street you could be in an accident or worse. Each time I ride I tell the wife I love her and that I'll see her later on, that way if something happens she knows that I'm gonna be above waiting for her so that we can continue riding again.
    • 9 posts
    October 24, 2011 11:46 PM PDT
    Yea, the violence bites for all of us. But doesn't it seem like it's just too easy for some to settle their disputes with gun-play? Used to be a good old fashioned beat down was the order of the day. Not so, anymore. Carrying for protection is the new world order. And the bad thing is, you never know what you're gonna need protection from.
    A shame, really. Live and let live, aren't words you hear much anymore....
    Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 1780 posts
    October 25, 2011 2:20 AM PDT
    I know you all know I'm one of the biggest gun nuts on this site, and I carry a fire arm on duty every day, but booze and guns do not go together. When you pull your piece from it's holster your respondability level goes way up there, and with a few drinks in your system your responable thinking ability goes into the shitter. Keep the two apart!
    Dragon
    • 1855 posts
    October 25, 2011 4:21 AM PDT
    My feeling is that the whole world has gone to hell in a hand basket. It's the main reason I'm packing when on the road travelling. I mean, you can get off the beaten track and end up on the south side of somewhere you don't belong; whether it's in %'er territory or street gangs. I'm not 'flying' anymore but I am wiser because of those years. It makes me still cautious as a civilian now but I'm certainly a lot less on edge than back in the day. First off, I don't drink and ride anymore, mostly cause I'm enjoying the wind and not some bar stool. And like knightdragon said, there's a whole different level of responsibility when you're packing, when you drawn down.
    • 834 posts
    October 25, 2011 10:51 AM PDT
    Ace, I have been to Street Vibrations (spring & fall) many times and always without incident. I don't think one isolated is any reason not to attend future Street Vibration events. This could have happened anywhere - another event, you local bar, even the k-mart parking lot.
  • October 28, 2011 3:03 PM PDT
    I agree AzRider. It can happen anywhere, and does. It just sucks that some people just don't think about the possibilties of hurting someone not involved. I will be going again and I hope that things stay calm. I am glad that you all posted comments and thanks for speaking your mind. Ride safe.