Glad this happened in Utah

• 2 posts
    September 14, 2011 2:24 PM PDT
    If it had been in New York City or LA they would have stripped the car & posted videos of them dancing thru the flames on You Tube & the citizens around here are so overweight they would noto have been able to get close

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/09/13/utah.motorcycle.crash/index.html?hpt=hp_t2 />
    Motorcyclist's uncle tells nephew's rescuers, "You are heroes"

The uncle of a Utah motorcyclist pulled from underneath a burning car by a group of bystanders told his nephew's rescuers Tuesday they are "heroes to our family."

Tyler Riggs spoke to CNN's Piers Morgan one day after a group of construction workers, students and other bystanders turned into a ragtag team of first responders to save the life of 21-year-old Brandon Wright.

The accident happened on a street near Utah State University in Logan and was captured on video.

"I thank you on behalf of my family and I know that my nephew Brandon will hope to thank you at some point, too. I know that you might be shy and want to dislodge the title, but you are heroes to our family," Riggs said, adding that his nephew is in good spirits.

Sgt. Jason Olsen of the Logan police was the first officer on the scene.

He was about to motion to a fellow responding officer to grab a jack when, "I realized that these citizens had already organized and were just going to manually lift (the car) up."

The crash occurred when a BMW pulled out of a parking lot and in front of the motorcyclist. Jeff Curtis, assistant chief of Logan police, said the motorcyclist tried to avoid the car, which resulted in him laying the motorcycle down.

After crashing, gas spilled out of the motorcycle and ignited, engulfing both the motorcycle and the front end of the car in flames, Curtis said. The motorcyclist became lodged underneath the burning vehicle.

The video, shot by Chris Garff, shows several startled bystanders looking under the BMW as flames leap into the air.

Sgt. Jason Olsen of the Logan police was the first officer on the scene.

He was about to motion to a fellow responding officer to grab a jack when, "I realized that these citizens had already organized and were just going to manually lift (the car) up."

The crash occurred when a BMW pulled out of a parking lot and in front of the motorcyclist. Jeff Curtis, assistant chief of Logan police, said the motorcyclist tried to avoid the car, which resulted in him laying the motorcycle down.

After crashing, gas spilled out of the motorcycle and ignited, engulfing both the motorcycle and the front end of the car in flames, Curtis said. The motorcyclist became lodged underneath the burning vehicle.

The video, shot by Chris Garff, shows several startled bystanders looking under the BMW as flames leap into the air.

The crowd quickly grows to include a man in a suit, construction workers wearing hard hats, a woman in sandals and a young man carrying a backpack, the video shows. After one person in the group tries to pick up the blazing car, the crowd joins in and lifts the 4,000-pound vehicle.

"I do remember one gentleman saying, 'We need everybody to come and help lift,' and that's when everybody ran over," Olsen recalled.

One of the bystanders drags the fallen motorcyclist's limp body from under the vehicle, the video shows.

Wright was rushed to a hospital and was in stable condition after surgery Monday evening, Curtis said. The driver of the car was not seriously injured.

• 19049 posts
    September 15, 2011 12:54 AM PDT
    Gotta agree with you Savage.
  • September 16, 2011 1:28 AM PDT
    Saw this on the news...Gotta say that the dude definately had his GA riding with him and a whole bunch of additional angels close by. There are still poepole out there that will actually DO something instead of just stand around and watch, thank god.