Rider dies protesting helmet laws.

• July 3, 2011 5:42 AM PDT
    ONONDAGA, N.Y. (AP) — Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike's handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.

http://news.yahoo.com/ny-motorcyclis...143217859.html />

Posted without comment.
    • 130 posts
    July 3, 2011 8:17 PM PDT
    The Police played this one up and the reporter was a willing accomplice. Not that I'm one who glories in posting the misfortunes of other motorcyclists, but what the cops were too asinine to tell this journalistic flunky was that, going bareheaded isn't what killed this unfortunate, the inability to control his bike due to poor braking technique was.
    • 2 posts
    July 4, 2011 1:32 PM PDT
    Agreed Mike.  Sad this happened.  Cops seem to be capitalizing on the "I told you so" attitude ecouraging adhearance to obey the law.  As for the protestor, he wasn't alone.

The ride was part of the 11th annual Helmet Protest Run, which is put on by the Onondaga County chapter of American Bikers Aimed Towards Education (ABATE)

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/308709#ixzz1RBp9sADI
    Apparently this article sounds like there will be a 12th annual protest ride. 

PS: I do wear a helmet by choice but realize that my helmet is not one size fits all like a seat belt.  I've made exceptions to my own standard at times for short distances or pick up from my mechanic.   I've been in a non-moving accident and out of work for 6 weeks but my helmet prevented a head injury but not the broken bones.
    • 1161 posts
    July 4, 2011 2:21 PM PDT
    Yep I use mine but I will defend others the right not to. That is like trying to say if your going to have sex you have to use a condom (with your wife). That to me is as simply as I can put it.
    • 1161 posts
    July 4, 2011 2:42 PM PDT
    I so agree fiddlemike!
  • July 5, 2011 2:00 AM PDT
    First, our thoughts and prayers got the family and friends of our fallen brother.

Second, I am in agreement with Mike as well, I believe it's knowing your own skill set as a rider. Depending on route, condition, temperature, and the other rider I'm with really determine my position. While I enjoy the feeling of riding without a helmet one must always make a decision knowing the risk involved. I'm sure the one day that I don’t take the time to think about it might be that day I pay the price.
  • July 5, 2011 3:37 AM PDT
    Wow this is just low!
    Another reason I don't call the cops first and I believe almost nothing that is spread by the media... neither are honest and integrity is in short supply..
  • July 5, 2011 2:49 PM PDT
    I respect the right to choose....but I have to ask....would the rider be alive if a helmet had been worn? And yes, I ALWAYS wear one, been there and they work as advertised.
    • 3006 posts
    July 5, 2011 5:19 PM PDT
    Totally agree with most of the statements here,the main one being would this person have survived if they were wearing a helmet? I like to err on the side of caution,I wear the stupid lid,yet I dont do any stunt riding and riders I know who have over 500,000 plus miles under there belt often will go without a helmet in states where there is no helmet laws,its nice being able to make the choice! I miss those days,tho I usually wore a helmt even back then.