'07 Screamin' Eagle touring muffler mods?

• June 23, 2011 11:35 PM PDT

• June 23, 2011 11:42 PM PDT
    Don't know what happened, couldn't enter my question just the topic!!
    Anyway, I just installed a pair of SE muffler slip-ons onto my 07 FLHTCU and they are not loud enough for my taste. They have removable tips; anyone have a suggestion for increasing volume? The bike is stock with 17K on the clock.
    • 2 posts
    June 27, 2011 2:19 PM PDT
    Which ones? I have dual shortys on my FXDB. They are not the loudest but, they do get louder as you break them in. You will notice a difference around 1000mi and then a little more between 1500-1700mi but that will be about it. Although they are not particularly loud they do produce a nice low tone that will get some notice. It is much easier to realize how noticeable the low tone is when you are not on the bike. They won't ever be "loud" but far better then the stock pipes but, if you just put them on, they will get noticeably louder over time.

Unfortunately, I do not believe there is much you can do as far as altering the pipes. I believe your bike is EFI and that requires you to have baffles. Removing or altering them is not really an option. Also if you installed them yourself make sure to have the engine mapped on a Dyno. It will improve the performance by altering the air flow for the larger pipes. It will not only improve the performance but the sound as well. Riding without/altered baffles can, overtime, damage the engine. You could go with different pipes. I know the Vance and Hines 2 into 1 are a little louder and there are probably others that are louder as well but, it will never be as loud as other bikes because you will always need some kind of baffles to keep the back flow at bay. It's the price you pay for EFI. If it makes you any better it is my opinion that the performance and convenience of EFI far out ways any benefit from being loud.

Good Luck!
    • 2 posts
    June 27, 2011 2:22 PM PDT
    Sorry, I just realized that a V&H 2 to 1 is probably not an option for your bike but, there are no limit to available aftermarket. If you want to go with different pipes maybe someone who has the same bike could offer better advice.
  • June 28, 2011 3:22 PM PDT
    Vance and Hines does demonstrations of their products at some of the larger rallies. I have a 08 streetglide and really liked the way the true duals sounded. As long as you don't live here in California the types of aftermarket pipes are endless. Best way really to hear alot of different pipes is to go to a rally and just listen for what you like then go over and ask, what type how much etc. good luck buddy!
  • June 29, 2011 6:38 AM PDT
    Assuming you are asking about Harley part # 64985-07... you can drill out the rivets and remove the baffle to make mods. As long as you are running the stock air filter you should be ok but if you added a high flow air filter you will need to add some type of fuel management.
  • July 1, 2011 5:02 AM PDT
    Thanks for the responses so far. I am not displeased with the performance gain just want a little more volume. I may remove the end caps and look into the packing around the baffles. Also, after removing the factory cans I saw that I can probably run a spike in from the back and open them up a bit. I'll let y'all know what happens.