Motorcycle checkpoints

• June 23, 2011 9:49 AM PDT
      Are the motorcycle checkpoint stops discriminatory? As the police aren't stopping other  vehicles with loud or non-stock exhaust, this practice seems to target the cycle community.
    • 844 posts
    June 23, 2011 10:58 AM PDT
    In my personal opinion, yes I think it is discriminatory. However I also used to drive a big rig and had to stop for checkpoints that other motorists didn't???

I think it does come down to a few obnoxious bikers that go out of their way to disturb the communities they ride in. My bike CAN be very loud, but I also go out of my way to keep it down when I ride through a peaceful community. Maybe if everyone did the same we wouldn't get picked on so much.
  • June 23, 2011 11:27 AM PDT
    Contact you state motorcycle reps. Some states have ABATE - American Bikers Aimed Toward Education, or some other type of motorcycle voice. What makes these stops illegal is that they do focus only on motorcycles and not the driving public. Any stops you may have experienced as a truck driver may have been through DOT which is different then the average cop doing the stops. Here in Indiana our ABATE has advised us to refuse to have our saddlebags and belongings searched and to contact out ABATE legal rep. GoFur looking at your picture there, I'd say you live in Texas and I know they have a motorcycle group like ABATE. I remember years ago when the helmit law was going to be law. I remember watching from outside of work hundreds of bikes making the final loop around the 610 loop before heading to Austin.
    • 3006 posts
    June 23, 2011 12:18 PM PDT
    Have to agree, the stops are totally discrimnatory & should be challenged legally,it is pretty blatant too.No cars stopped??..wtf..? this makes no sense unless of course your the cager who hates motorcycles n you work in the state legislature,doing lobbying work against bikers in general,I wonder where they get their marching orders from??
    Next thing ya know they are gonna stop all cars & bikes based on if you look suspicious,oh wait they already do huh? Thank Goodness for the Patriot act I can sleep well at night!!!..haha..!
    • 16825 posts
    June 23, 2011 5:39 PM PDT
    Keep in mind next election who is behind such stops and un-elect them!
  • June 23, 2011 10:46 PM PDT
    Nothing to hide, nothing to fear. Perfectly legal in regards to what they are looking for. No different than truck inspections. Truck inspections are federal laws, but still enforced at the state level. You don't check compliance for weight limit laws by pulling over grandma in a mini van. You can't check license or helmet or muffler compliance by pulling over school buses. We can thank oiur own community of riders for the increased enforcement of nothing more than nuisance laws. Open pipes and full throttle racing in residential areas at 3am don't make friends. Rolling road blocks 15 mph UNDER the speed limit blocking both lanes because you and your "gang" want to feel tough don't build sympathy. Flip flops and a snot rag on your head while trying to preach safety awareness is like tryiing to preach abstinence at a nudist resort. When they want to check your luggage, ask them to write down a list of what they are looking for and why they feel suspicious enough to look. I've been held up less time at a stop sign on a deserted highway than checkpoints in Utah and Michigan. Utah, all I had to do was present a valid motorcycle license and I was released. Those being searched further were those without one. Michigan checked helmet compliance and muffler. I was waved through, yet stopped anyway to ask directions and interrupt THEIR day. DUI checkpoints don't bother me in the slightest, I want every drunk douchebag off the road. Ohio DOES have checkpoints for cars on occasion. Seatbelt, registration and insurance checks.
  • June 25, 2011 4:25 AM PDT
    This did sound like profiling to me, so I asked my dad about it. He is a retired private practice lawyer primarily representing those who have had rights violated - no he wasn't an ACLU lawyer. Prior to that he worked with the States Attorneys Office. He is also a avid rider - that's where I got the bug.

His "official" response as an attorney is that it would not hold up as profiling or discrimination because motorcycles are specifically licensed as a unique motor vehicle class and law enforcement is running the checkpoints based on the type of vehicle registration, having noting to do with the driver or passenger. If they were only pulling over riders wearing patches or something like that, it would be a whole other story

His "unofficial" response as a rider is the bastards know damn well these checkpoints will in no way improve safety for of motorcycles on the road and they should check with the various motorcycle organizations on better ways to spend our money to help keep us safe.
    • 1161 posts
    June 25, 2011 11:08 AM PDT
    It is like pulling over a bike to warn them about watching for a fly that they might ingest down the road that came off some car or truck. 1. If they want to use the safety thing should they not do it on the major road ways to make it safer? 2. Pull over cages to let them know that bikes are also on the road ways to keep an eye out for them as well? 3. As for pipes I know a few that have been saved because they have loud pipes, but don't crack the throttle in housing areas either.

But hay I'm still a crappy cager. But my pipes won't be stock when I can afford it either!
  • June 30, 2011 7:03 AM PDT
    Depending on the agency most of these check points are conducted due to some type of public complaint. most agencys will conduct the check points on motorcycles in one area then on cages in another area to not look discriminatory. In South Carolina they are called traffic safety check points and are supposed to check for drivers licenses. Any other violations that are discovered during the stop can be prosecuted. As far as the searching of saddle bags ect. the 4th amendment is to protect against unreasonable searches and siezure the officer can ask to search anything. Case law dictates what is a legal search (know the law). If the officer has probable cause he does not need permission to search (smell of alcohol or drugs are an example). I personally see cars as a much more danger on the roadway and would never support a check point to pin point motorcycles but then again im a biker and a cop
  • June 30, 2011 8:16 AM PDT
    I personally have never experienced a bikes only checkpoint in my 30 plus year riding career. What I'm wondering is where and why they think it is a good use of my tax dollars for these special bike stops as they just announced on the news the other day that they are going to be cutting programs for military veterans in this country. I would love to hear the ass congressman who thinks this is ok!! and have him explain it to me.
  • June 30, 2011 12:44 PM PDT
    I agree with u 100% wheels
  • July 1, 2011 12:12 AM PDT
  • October 3, 2011 5:20 AM PDT
    I would like to add, not that it is relavant to roadblocks, if you vehicle is lawfully registered and equiped in your state, the vehicle cannot be cited for violations of other state's laws regarding registration, equipment or insurance, although, they can enforce traffic laws and personal safety equipment laws such as but not limited to helmet compliance. Furthermore, I am a mechanic, not a lawyer, so be sure and get it straight from a lawyer before you go riding in another state.
  • October 12, 2011 3:08 AM PDT
    I have 2 Harley riders in my neighborhood and they are very respectful of noise in the neighborhood but when they are out of it you can hear them get on it and personally I like the noise of a well tuned bike roaring down my street. I am sorry that there is discrimination against bikers, and I agree with those who have suggested checking with a lawyer just to be safe from that.
  • October 12, 2011 3:39 AM PDT
    Bum wrote...
    I would like to add, not that it is relavant to roadblocks, if you vehicle is lawfully registered and equiped in your state, the vehicle cannot be cited for violations of other state's laws regarding registration, equipment or insurance, although, they can enforce traffic laws and personal safety equipment laws such as but not limited to helmet compliance. Furthermore, I am a mechanic, not a lawyer, so be sure and get it straight from a lawyer before you go riding in another state.

Just so no one get's in trouble here...  I checked with my attorney (dad) and you can be cited for not complying with a states regulations while riding in that state, wheter the bike is registered there or not.. i.e. noise regualtions, handle bar height, etc.  It is up to you, the operator of a motor vehicle, to know the laws of a state you are planning on riding/driving in.

• October 12, 2011 4:34 AM PDT
    If you think your loud - find a cop shop and get it tested (if legal) carry those results around with you so the cop on your stop can't be bias or hassle you. I had to do the same with my Cigarette boat, boats like semi's are held to 90 dB. Bikes are a little less around 87 dB most states. Get tested and ride hard.