Nearly hit today...

• June 20, 2011 11:55 AM PDT
     Riding home from Cape May, NJ, to nearly an hour north of Allentown, PA - which is approximately a 3.5 to 4 hour drive with my kids & SO following in the car behind me (they wouldn't fit on the bike).  Just south of the Allentown rest stop on 476N (turnpike), I'm in the passing lane, next to the cab of a white truck pulling a flatbed trailer and we're going about 85 mph, when he suddenly puts on his turn signal and pulling into my lane!
    I'm riding a Triumph America (800cc), so it isn't a tiny bike and I'm beeping like crazy - he just keeps coming... I hit my brakes & downshifted as fast as I could safely while riding closer and closer to the concrete barrier - I felt the wind from the back of his trailer on my right hand - he literally came within less than a foot from me!

After nearly hitting me, he's riding and swerving off one side of the road and then the other, then he goes to pass two tractor trailers and nearly hits them, as well, swerving into their lanes as well.  Not sure if he was drunk, high, lacking sleep or some combination of the three....
    I got his plate # PT-8799H, Pennsylvania plates and even a picture of his truck (from the rear).

Pulled over at the rest stop and called 911 - they'd already had one call on him, but haven't heard anything since.

• June 20, 2011 12:07 PM PDT
    People are so lost that they can't see beyond their faces. I hope they got this SOB off the road for everyones safety. Congratulation on some swift emergency moves that undoubtedly save you and your bike.
  • June 20, 2011 12:18 PM PDT
    I was surprised my adrenaline didn't bounce up more, but I'm glad I was able to keep it cool and stay alive... I just hope the PSP were able to nab him and get him off the road.
  • June 20, 2011 1:33 PM PDT
    Sorry to read this! Thank God he didn't run you down. Q4U tho- How the hell did u take his picture? Did ur family take it, or? Did they even see it go down? Hope they got him OFF the roads!!!
    • 1516 posts
    June 20, 2011 1:58 PM PDT
    Glad you are safe.. that is so scary to go thru..
    • 3006 posts
    June 20, 2011 5:39 PM PDT
    Glad to hear you reacted properly & kept your kool,I have had quite a few similiar experiences here in the SF bay area,..we get tourists from all over the globe,who cant drive for crap!! Anyone who lives in a tourist area knows what I mean.
    keep us posted on if they nabbed the fool !!
  • June 21, 2011 12:29 AM PDT
    Someone somewhere said driving is a privlidge, not a right. This dude needs to be reminded of that. It don't matter what you are driving.
    • 19034 posts
    June 21, 2011 1:13 AM PDT
    Glad you are OK. I know that stretch of road well. Not much escape there and not really in good shape. Again very glad you are here to tell us about it.
    • 567 posts
    June 21, 2011 2:29 AM PDT
    Glad to hear you were able to survive the experience. And, I hope the authorities are able to get the SOB off the road.
    Down here, Florida has gotten a LOT better for motorcycles. People are more aware nowadays. But there's still the occasional dummy who doesn't see you and your bike. That's especially true around the Orlando area. So many tourists .. some of whom drive on the other side of the road in their country .. or its the first time they've ever driven. And then, there's the texter or the drunk or the person who just can't be bothered with anyone else on the road.
    • 910 posts
    June 21, 2011 2:47 AM PDT
    I never ride beside the big rigs. If I can't pass them in a straight shot I wait until it's clear then do so and I always watch their rear view mirror as I approach. Doing that on a ride on the NJ turnpike I came across one trucker reading a newspaper across his steering wheel at 80 mph in the middle lane. I made him a speck in my rearview!

Glad you didn't become a speck of another variety thanks to this driver!
  • June 22, 2011 2:47 AM PDT
    Glad you were ok! nice riding also, it sucks that people like this guy are all over the highways and half the time they never know that they almost ran us over. I also ride past semi's in a quick burst of speed and if at all possible i never let them pass me. Remember to keep an eye on the cars that find themselves stuck behind trucks driving up hills because all of a sudden they will bolt into your lane and half the time they never look to see if your there, they just don't want to lose their speed going up the hill.
  • June 22, 2011 2:58 AM PDT
    glad ya avoided the spill! i avoid semis like the plague- quick to get around em- and i cant stand the wind buffeting behind em
    • 0 posts
    June 22, 2011 10:26 AM PDT
    Today is the only day of the year I will not be riding by choice.23rd of June last year I went through the drivers window and ended up in the passenger seat of a car that didnt give way..Broken neck 27 fractures in my right arm and hand and a fractured hip..I aint pushin my bloody luck today..CHEERS BOOF
  • June 22, 2011 10:52 AM PDT
    CaliMJ wrote...
    Sorry to read this! Thank God he didn't run you down. Q4U tho- How the hell did u take his picture? Did ur family take it, or? Did they even see it go down? Hope they got him OFF the roads!!!

My 18 year old was driving in our car behind me with his gf in the front seat and my 8 year old and SO in the back seat - they got the pictures...  I probably could have, since my phone was clipped onto my bars (I had it there in case I needed the GPS), but they were able to do it safer.

• June 22, 2011 10:55 AM PDT
    BOOF wrote...
    Today is the only day of the year I will not be riding by choice.23rd of June last year I went through the drivers window and ended up in the passenger seat of a car that didnt give way..Broken neck 27 fractures in my right arm and hand and a fractured hip..I aint pushin my bloody luck today..CHEERS BOOF

Ouch.

• 58 posts
    June 22, 2011 1:56 PM PDT
    I drive a semi and believe me when I say, " don't spend time next to one, especially on the passenger side." If the blind spots are big enough to hide a car, they can certainly hide a bike. That's reason number 2 why I don't ride interstates on my bike. Super glad you got out of this safely!
  • June 24, 2011 3:20 PM PDT
    One more reminder why they say "Stay alert, stay alive."

Glad you're safe.