motorcycle tent trailer

• March 1, 2011 3:57 PM PST
    My wife and I are looking to buy a tow behind tent trailer. I've been looking and there are several that look good. I would like to know if anyone out there has one and what their preferences are and why. Right now I think that I've got in narrowed down to either a Roll-A-Home, Bunkhouse or Time-Out Camper. Does anyone have any thoughts about this> 
  • March 1, 2011 11:15 PM PST
    Hello RoadGlideJake, the wife and I have a Trailmaster Aspen Classic and have pulled it for 5 plus years now. We had a older Time out that we took around Lake Superior and it did great. We elected for the Aspen for ease of set up, brakes, size and larger sleeping area. I really do not think any of them are bad, it is a matter of choice and price. Good luck in your hunt and enjoy the freedom of the road. Feel free to ask any question's I'll be happy to assist.
    hcgecko@hotmail.com
  • March 2, 2011 4:46 AM PST
    Thanks Gecko.....We're here in Washington (state not DC) and are fixing to go around to look at some used ones in the next couple of days. We found a Bunkhouse (2005), Time-Out (late 90s) and a Roll-a-Home (1997). We're going to start out used as they all seem to be pretty well taken care of. I just retired in December and we are planning a four corners trip this year. That ought to give us enough miles to figure out if we like whatever we buy.
  • March 2, 2011 5:17 AM PST
    Have you considered purchasing a cargo type trailor and just packing a tent and other gear in it. One of my riding buddies who retired about ten years ago has pulled both types and he said that he preferred the empty trailor and that he could pack more gear into it and it was alot more versatile than the tent trailor. Just a thought and congrats on your recent retirement.
    • 1516 posts
    March 2, 2011 6:02 AM PST
    That's how we roll too Wheels. There is so much stuff we always want to bring and a tent doesn't really take up that much room. Good luck which ever way you go jake, bike camping is the best fun!!
  • March 2, 2011 8:33 AM PST
     I think that I just scored. I put an add on Craigslist the other day that I wanted to buy a motorcycle tent trailer. I'm going Sunday to  pick up my new/used Roll-A-Home. It's a 1997 in good shape for $750. I'll start out cheap and see how my wife and I like it. 
  • March 2, 2011 8:48 AM PST
    Wheels....I thought about that but my wife and I just can't see camping on the ground if there's an alternative. The old bones hurt too much
  • RT
    March 2, 2011 10:18 AM PST
    We have been using a Time-out for a few years and love it. We load inside and on top and have more room than we ever need.

Good idea starting out cheap, pulling a loaded trailer is a difference experience.

• March 2, 2011 11:15 PM PST
    Congrats Roadglidejake, I cannot say I know the Roll a home but for $750. that's a great way to determine if you will enjoy the idea. I agree we just do not like sleeping on the ground, but pulling a cargo trailer with the gear is sometimes a little easier. Our Aspen allows us plenty of storage which can be too much if the wife loads the trailer. Good luck and make sure you inspect the bearings or replace them if any doubts.