Perhaps A Memphis trip?

• February 9, 2011 12:18 PM PST
    Hi all,
    I was planning a trip to Memphis, TN this summer to visit Graceland, Beale Street, Sun Studios et al.
    Well more than a few folks have told me that it's so unsafe (read ghetto) that they wouldn't let their bike
    sit without someone nearby. Have any of you done the Memphis thing and if so what are your opinions?

• February 10, 2011 8:25 AM PST
    Memphis is a ghetto and i would avoid it like the plague! However Graceland is in a small burb called Germantown and this area is really nice. My family lives in Corinth Ms. about two hrs east of Memphis and they tell me that they have not been there in years because of the crime and violence. Too bad because we used to drive up to graceland to see Elvis's place and then drive into Memphis to eat All the time when i was younger. Good luck and be safe
    • 44 posts
    February 10, 2011 12:29 PM PST
    Memphis has the highist crime rate in Tn me personaly I wouldn't ride my bike there As the saying goes nice place to visit but not for long If you do go you should have someone with you My wife rides her bike with me but you should stop in at
    Bumpus Harley-Davidson Shop of Collierville
    325 South Byhalia Road
    Collierville, TN 38017
    good luck and be safe

• February 11, 2011 10:43 AM PST
    Thanks guys for your input. It just confirms what I have been told by others so we'll scratch Memphis off the "to do" list.

• February 19, 2011 1:03 PM PST
    Graceland is not in Germantown. It is in the middle of the hood. However, given the extreme number of tourists there, security is good. Avoid Beale on the weekend. Nights during the week are good. Again, given the number of tourists, the FedEx Forum, Peabody Hotel and other high dollar venues, security is good.

Now, as to leaving a bike out of sight overnight...I am not sure it would be safe anywhere in Memphis.

If it were me, I would stay overnight in North MS about 10 miles south of the state line. There is an extremely low tolerance for riff raff around Hernando.