The Silent Ranks

• 223 posts
    January 7, 2011 9:24 AM PST
    I just learned today that my son-in-law will be deployed in April to South Afghanistan.  My daughter is coping the best she can.  Their first child, a boy, is due February 28th.  I'm thankful he'll be home when the baby is born, and I'm so proud to call him my son, my daughter's husband, and the father of my grandson.  While I pray for his safe return, I also thank him for his commitment and service. 

My daughter found the poem below on a blanket at the PX, somehow I want to get it for her before he leaves.  She posted it to Facebook and I'm reposting it here.  For her, for him, for their baby.  And for all of our service men and women and their spouses who stand in the silent ranks supporting them. 

Thank you... ALL of you.

The Silent Ranks

I wear no uniforms, no blues or army greens

But I am in the Army in the ranks rarely seen
    I have no rank upon my shoulders - salutes I do not give
    But the military world is the place where I live
    I'm not in the chain of command, orders I do not get
    But my husband is the one who does, this I can not forget
    I'm not the one who fires the weapon, who puts my life on the line
    But my job is just as tough. I'm the one that's left behind
    My husband is a patriot, a brave and prideful man
    And the call to serve his country not all can understand

Behind the lines I see the things needed to keep this country free
    My husband makes the sacrifice, but so do our kids and me
    I love the man I married, Soldiering is his life
    But I stand among the silent ranks known as the Army Wife

• January 7, 2011 9:34 AM PST
    he as well as all our service men and women are in my thoughts!!!
  • January 7, 2011 10:13 AM PST
    I appluad ya razncain. As a retired military member, the ones behind the troops are usually over looked. They don't go into combat, they don't fire the weapons, they rarely deploy. But what they do is provide a measure of support that most people can't even imagine. While I honor all the service and safrifice the troops make and endure, I apply the same to the Silent Ranks.
  • January 7, 2011 12:15 PM PST
    I knew I had heard this razncaie. Check it out ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIlReExp8Vc&feature=related
  • January 7, 2011 12:25 PM PST
    This is for your daughter. Tell her to stand strong!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG7EOm3y_fI&feature=related
    • 223 posts
    January 7, 2011 12:55 PM PST
    Thank you sjsak, I shared the poem on my daughter's Facebook wall, after I was done bawling my eyes out!

And thank you as well, dabonman, their entire company is being deployed... so many. I just want them all to come home alive and safe.
    • 19061 posts
    January 8, 2011 1:01 AM PST
    Absolutely True.
    • 9 posts
    January 8, 2011 1:36 AM PST
    That poem pulls on the hearts of everyone who reads it. Now, consider, a few small changes and the one's also left behind are Moms. My best friend's son is in Afghanistan right now. And everyday, she waits for him to post something on his facebook, and is subsequently disappointed when she "misses" him by only minutes. I see the fear in her eyes.
    I too, have a son who is old enough to serve, and pray everyday for all of the mothers out there! Whether it be son or daughter serving our country, these are precious lives, one and all.
    I am proud of anyone who serves this country, in whatever capacity they choose. I know that freedom isn't free.
    And I pray God for his blessings on each and every one of them, and their families.
    And to all of the wives, husbands, mothers, fathers, and kids...I say THANK YOU. Your sacrifice is appreciated.
    Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 2 posts
    January 8, 2011 2:02 AM PST
    Hope your daughter can make the acquaintance of some old, Army wives.

My wife came due when I was on a detachment - One old gal, for all practical purposes, carried her w/ the wings of angels - Ditto my daughter-in-law.
    Was impressed by the efficient, competent compassion of those old gals & their willingness to reach across ranks
    • 58 posts
    January 8, 2011 4:49 AM PST
    Yup, with 99savage. The best support net she can poss have is other mil spouses. All have been there, done that.
    • 223 posts
    January 8, 2011 8:44 AM PST
    I do have a few friends who are army wives though who have taken her under their wing. I'm an ex-Navy wife and my mother-in-law is an ex-Army wife. She has a lot of support and they live with us, with her so close to delivering and knowing Steven is being deployed soon, we didn't want her being alone. We live 30 miles from base so there really aren't that many military wives in our town, especially her age (she's 19) but the hard part is yet to come... watching him leave and waiting for him to come home.
    • 1161 posts
    January 9, 2011 3:14 PM PST
    I also shared it with my facebook I also know a few still in and Vets that may share it with their other special ones to maby help them say "Thank you" in their own way. And as for your son(-in-law) give him a HOOAH for me!
  • January 28, 2011 2:33 PM PST
    I'll keep your son-in-law in my prayers. It can be a difficult road for your family, just take it one day at a time.
  • January 28, 2011 5:32 PM PST
    I thank him as well and I pray for you and your daughter...Be strong....
    RandyJoe...Ride Strong...
    • 223 posts
    January 30, 2011 2:42 PM PST
    Thank you all so much, it's hard knowing he's leaving, but I'm so proud of him in the same sense. My daughter is getting close to delivering and I love watching his excitement grow as she nears her due date! I know it will be hard on him, leaving them... just as I know it will be hard on my daughter (and us) letting him go. But it's his duty and he will do it and all we can do is love and support him and pray he and his entire company return safely.
    • 202 posts
    January 31, 2011 12:05 AM PST
    A special thank you to all those who serve and those who stand behind them. We are a strong country!

My son is just 17. He is planning on joining the Air Force. While i am so proud of him, there is a thread of fear. I am not yet in the shoes of having a loved one serving... i admire all of you and pray for your safety and strength.

Psalm 144... A royal pray for victory over treacherous enemies... verse 1 "Praise be to the Lord my Rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle! He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold, and my deliverer, my shield in whom i take refuge, who subdues peoples under me!" AMEN