Help! Shifter problem

• December 14, 2010 10:48 AM PST
        I have an 06 Street Bob , purchased brand new. Right from day one I have had a shifter problem. Down shifting from 2nd to first it sticks. You can almost hear like a grinding noise when I try to shift down and I have to tromp on the shifter to go down. I have had it back at the dealer numerious times with no help . Now that the orig. owner of the shop passed away the service SUCKS! I WON'T  GO BACK THERE EVER AGAIN. They couldn't figure it out anyway.
        Anyone have this problem or any suggestion as to why it does this?
    • 0 posts
    December 14, 2010 4:36 PM PST
    Try adjusting your clutch up alittle mate..If that dont work check your linkages are all cool and runnin slick as owl shit...After that well shit ,its an internal problem and the pecker heads at the dealership should be able to recomend a good wrench...CHEERS BOOF
  • December 14, 2010 5:51 PM PST
    If there is not obvious damage to the shift levers or the bike shifts hard in all the gears this is an internal problem and therefore is a warranty issue because of the history and relative newness of your ride. Contact Harley Davidson and ask them to recommend a dealership near you that has a good shop track record. Take some time with the service writer and show him all the stuff the old shop tried and didnt work Leave all the paperwork you have with them so the actual mechanic can see them firsthand.And by all means tell them you dont expect the bike back in two days and you want them to go on a extensive test ride of your bike before they tell you its fixed. Good luck brother
    • 19055 posts
    December 14, 2010 11:58 PM PST
    I am curious, does this happen when still rolling or only when stopped. How does it shift to first from neutral? Can you find neutral easily? I agree with BOOF on first thing to do is be sure clutch is adjusted correctly. Then definitely find a good mechanic. A few of which reside here. Much better advice than I can offer should be forthcoming...
    • 58 posts
    December 15, 2010 9:47 AM PST
    Which reminds me.... I haven't checked the fluid level in my clutch and it is getting a bit sloppy too. Who else has a Road King with hydraulic clutch?