Fire Claims Alleged Captain America Harley From Easy Rider Film

• 844 posts
    December 14, 2010 10:42 AM PST
    Just saw this.  Apparently there were two bikes used in the Easy Rider movie, one was lost in this fire and the other is owned by John Parham of J&P Cycles.

A warehouse fire has claimed one of two heavily modified Harley-Davidson Panheads which are claimed to have been ridden by Peter Fonda in "Easy Rider," the 1969 cinematic ode to two-wheeled rebellion. The blaze occurred in Austin, Texas, taking with it a total of 22 cars and 8 motorcycles, all of them collectibles.

The subject of the "real" Captain America motorcycle is a prickly one that I touch upon in the book Legendary Motorcycles, which mentions the fact that two alleged Captain America bikes are endorsed as authentic by Dan Haggerty (aka, TV's "Grizzly Adams"who handled the bike during the film's production: one, owned by J&P Cycle's John Parham (seen in this photograph), and the other-- which was lost in the fire-- owned by Gordon Granger.

However murky the authenticity of the burnt bike may be, the legend of Captain America is far bigger than one modified Harley-Davidson, whether or not it appeared in "Easy Rider."

• 58 posts
    December 14, 2010 11:48 AM PST
    I have the movie (with extras). They only mentioned one Cpt America bike and it was stolen before shooting was even completed. The last scene shot was done without it. (campfire scene)
    • 846 posts
    December 15, 2010 1:57 AM PST
    I've heard that there were two one that was ridden and one used in the crash scene at the end. It was the crashed one that survived. The one ridden by Peter Fonda was stolen before the end of the movie like RutCut mentioned. I guess the lengend and the mystery continues.