My Friend Scott Hit by a Car Riding to Work

• 223 posts
    October 15, 2010 2:50 PM PDT
    When it rains it pours... my friend Scott Kraus was riding his bike to work last night and a cager pulled out in front of him.  Scott hit the car, both the bike and the car were totalled.  The driver of the car is an 18 year old girl and as far as I know, she's sustained no physical injuries.  Scott, on the other hand, suffered extensive head trauma and was life-flighted to KU Medical Center in Kansas City, KS.  He's unable to see or speak, but from what we understand, he can hear and squeeze your hand in response to questions.  He's drifting in and out of consciousness and has a long, VERY long road ahead of him.  Here's a link to the story, but it's really short... http://www.1350kman.com/news/?p=5515 />
    Also, a very dear friend of mine lost her husband on the 4th to breast cancer.  She's a very private woman and I just found out today, although we've known one another for years.  I just can't imagine...

Again, asking for your prayers, good thoughts, and positive energy... it's been a helluva week this week.
    • 114 posts
    October 15, 2010 3:45 PM PDT
    I will keep them both in my prayers.... I am a 2X Br Ca survivor and I know God does not put more on us than we can handle....
    • 580 posts
    October 15, 2010 10:00 PM PDT
    Thoughts and prayers. We've had a rider killed in the Bradford area this week in a collision with a car. Didn't know him but feel for the family. We're all with you in our thoughts.

Carrie - with you on this too - I've also survived cancer (malignant melanoma). Staying positive helps keep riding

Big hugs
  • October 15, 2010 10:39 PM PDT
    Thoughts and prayers go out to your buddy Scott for a speedy recovery. And yes my friend it has been raining alot around you lately, You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers as well. Hopefully as the weather cools off back there, so will all the circumstances that have been popping up around you this summer. You have an amazing spirit, dont let anything or anyone dim your light. Ride on sister and let us know if you and Ron ever make plans to come to California, we'll plan a ride.
    • 19040 posts
    October 15, 2010 11:13 PM PDT
    Only good thoughts to Scott, his family and caregivers, and your family.

It seems to be your family has that black cloud following it. Also praying for improved weather for you...
    • 223 posts
    October 16, 2010 3:27 PM PDT
    Thank you everyone. We've not been able to see him yet as he's more than 3 hours from us. His brother is trying to keep everyone updated, This is what we have so far:

From Joseph S Baker: He has some small bone fragments pressing on his optic nerve behind his left eye, he did have some ribs broken, one of which punctured his lung, so he has a tube in to help drain air from his chest cavity. This is to allow him to breathe better. His left Scapula, (shoulder blade) is partially crushed. That sounds about like it for now. They are keeping him in a medication induced coma to keep him from being to aggressive and pulling out his tubes. Both eyes are bruised and black, but Aimee says he looks much better today compared to yesterday.
    • 223 posts
    October 17, 2010 9:56 AM PDT
    His wife Aimee started a blog, for anyone who'd like to keep up with how Scott is doing, it can be found HERE
    • 223 posts
    November 16, 2010 12:43 PM PST
    Scott's home and still has a LOT of healing to do.  I don't have any details, but being home is a major, MAJOR step in the right direction for him!!!  Keep the prayers, good thoughts, and positive energy coming please, they're working!!!
  • November 18, 2010 1:54 AM PST
    Prayers for Scott's total recovery.