2005 Suzuki C50 stalls at slow speeds

• August 14, 2010 10:28 AM PDT
    I am having a heck of a time trying to find out why my 2005 Suzuki C50 Boulevard keeps stalling out on me at slow speeds.  It started during the winter time. I figured it was just the cold, but when spring came it kept doing it.  It usually happens when I am shifting.  It will start right back up again after it stalls.  I changed the air filter and spark plugs but the same result happened again.  I bought a diagnostic cable, but it tells me everything is ok.  If anyone has any ideas let me know?
  • August 14, 2010 10:33 AM PDT
    i had a vstar 1100 that did that, there is an adjustment on the carb called te "EPA" screw, cabureted machine right? you have to remove the plug and adjust the screw on the bike, engine running, usually an eigth of a turn either way will cure the issue, if fuel injected machine, i got nothing.
  • August 14, 2010 1:15 PM PDT
    did you change the exhaust?
  • August 14, 2010 2:53 PM PDT
    It is fuel injected. I haven't changed the pipes. I was wondering if the fuel intjection could be jammed up. I was also wondering if it could be the intake duct. I have a service manuel but everything it suggest requires the removel of the gas tank. That is a pain in the butt. The fuel line is directly under the tank and is very difficult to remove. I was hopeing maybe it could be something easy.
  • August 14, 2010 3:00 PM PDT
    nope, not going to be too easy, another thought hit me, alcohol boils at a low temp, it the fuel line is getting hot, it could be the basic same as a vaporlock. insulate you fuel line and see if that helps, i used a firebraid for hydraulic lines rated for 1500 degrees on my fuel lines, it looks kinda weird, but did help with my bike leaning out at a redlight in the summer.
    • 1066 posts
    August 14, 2010 4:10 PM PDT
    If it's only doing it when you change gears, check out your neutral safety switch on the clutch. Stranger things have happened. Have you owned the bike since new?
  • June 7, 2011 1:40 AM PDT
    Hello,
    Did you ever get this issue resolved. I have the exact same bike, same year same problem. It started at the end of my ride last night and the problem continued this morning.
    Thank you,
    Nate
  • September 15, 2011 11:14 AM PDT
    The only thing I can offer you with out seeing the bike is that you may have a dirty injector. Have you ever cleaned them? On occasion injectors plug up in unusual ways, and dirty injectors, in a big diesel engine, usually robs horsepower thrughout the entire range. I"ve heard from other mechanics that dirty injectors can cause the engine to stall without hurting top end too much. While all engines are basically the same the systems delivering fuel can be diffrent and with Suzuki not being on my favorites list I hesitate to offer any further comment without seeing the machine. You might try calling technical support at Suzuki and perhaps they can give you some insight or refer you to a shop that can handle it. If your in DFW be sure and get with me in that I know a shop that' ll make a Suzuki hum and they won't charge you an arm and a leg. Where are you anyway, I know some really good shops through out the country and if your near one your ass is saved.
  • November 3, 2011 12:41 PM PDT
    I did solve my problem. I sold the bike. I was honest and told the buyer what was going on. I sold it pretty cheap, can't remember what I sold for. Since then I haven't had good luck with bikes. I bought a 1996 Harley Wide Glide, a lot of vibration and to much pain, I now have a 2006 Kawasaki Nomad, it shakes too. I am going to get a new back tire for it and see what happens. I will keep pursuing my quest for the right bike for me.
    • 130 posts
    November 3, 2011 6:49 PM PDT
    Nomad's a great bike, I hope you find an inexpensive remedy for the shakes.  If you're still on a quest for the right machine, later, consider getting away from thumpers or V-twins.
    V-fours, in-line engines, and   boxer engines (BMW, Gold Wing) all run with less vibration. 

fangface
    wrote...
    ... I now have a 2006 Kawasaki Nomad, it shakes too. I am going to get a new back tire for it and see what happens. I will keep pursuing my quest for the right bike for me.

• May 2, 2015 9:22 AM PDT
    I have had the same issue on my 2005 C50T. I increased the throttle set screw a 1/8 turn and it solved the issue. I only have 4500 miles on my bike. I am the second owner. The first owner took good care of the bike so not many issues accept that one.