Ireland explained

• 568 posts
    June 14, 2010 11:57 PM PDT
    taken from an irish forum:

Ireland is an island to the west of Britain but Northern Ireland is just off the mainland – not the Irish mainland, the British mainland.

The capital of Ireland is Dublin . It has a population of a million people, all of whom will be shopping in Newry this afternoon. They travel to Newry because it is in the North, which is not part of Ireland , but still pay in Euros.

Under the Irish constitution, the North used to be in Ireland , but a successful 30-year campaign of violence for Irish unity ensured that it is now definitely in the UK . Had the campaign lasted longer the North might now be in France .

Belfast is the capital of Northern Ireland . It has a population of half a million, half of whom have houses in Donegal. Donegal is in the north but not in the North. It is in the South. No, not the south, the South.

There are two parliaments in Ireland . The Dublin parliament is called the Dáil, (pronounced “Doyle”), an Irish word meaning a place where banks receive taxpayers’ money.The one in Belfast is called Stormont, an Anglo-Saxon word meaning placebo, or deliberately ineffective drug.

Their respective jurisdictions are defined by the border, an imaginary line on the map to show fuel launderers where to dump chemical waste.

Protestants are in favour of the border, which generates millions of pounds in smuggling for Catholics, who are opposed to it.

Travel between the two states is complicated because Ireland is the only country in the world with two M1 motorways. The one in the North goes west to avoid the south and the one in the South goes north to avoid the price of drink.

We have two types of democracy in Ireland . Dublin democracy works by holding a referendum and then allowing the government to judge the result. If the government thinks the result is wrong, the referendum is held again. Twice in recent years the government decided the people’s choice was wrong and ordered a new referendum.

Belfast democracy works differently. It has a parliament with no opposition, so the government is always right. This system generates envy in many world capitals, especially Dublin .

Ireland has three economies – northern, southern and black. Only the black economy is in the black. The other two are in the red.

All versions of the IRA claim to be the real IRA but only one of them is the Real IRA. The North’s biggest industry is the production of IRAs. Consequently, we now have the Provisional, Continuity and Real IRA. The Real IRA is by far the most popular among young graffiti writers simply because it is the easiest to spell.

• 413 posts
    June 15, 2010 12:03 AM PDT
    ezzy...thanks for the clarification..........I think         
  • June 15, 2010 12:52 AM PDT
    now I know why I hate politics!
  • June 15, 2010 1:28 AM PDT
     So what the Hell's the deal with Scotland? Is "g" the "normal" Scotsman or is he a cut above?
  • June 15, 2010 1:31 AM PDT
    bikersarge1 wrote...
     So what the Hell's the deal with Scotland? Is "g" the "normal" Scotsman or is he a cut above?

NORMAL?????????

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!
    • 1 posts
    June 15, 2010 1:39 AM PDT
    Normal is a relative term....  who's to say!!!!
    • 413 posts
    June 15, 2010 1:58 AM PDT
    Cathy wrote...
    Normal is a relative term....  who's to say!!!!

I used to have a hard time determining normal and not..............................UNTILL g  came along, then it all fell into place...

• June 15, 2010 3:33 AM PDT
    Ok...  Forget "normal", is "g" a good representation of what all the rest of the Scottish are like???
    • 568 posts
    June 15, 2010 5:54 AM PDT
    i believe g is quite unique alrite, although the scots are quite famed for being a bunch of nuts...
    but then so are the irish... meh?!
    • 601 posts
    June 15, 2010 6:47 AM PDT
    Don't worry folks, he's even after confusing me !!! and I was born here
  • g
    June 15, 2010 9:19 AM PDT
    WTF ,U ONABOOT EZZY ??
  • g
    June 15, 2010 9:20 AM PDT
    THE IRISH JUST WANT TO BE SCOTTISH ...............END OF ..LOL
    • 601 posts
    June 15, 2010 9:30 AM PDT
    If the Irish wanted to be Scottish.....we would still be occupied by the brits.. LOL, naw G, you and I come from the same blood, not like them Italians....can ya imagine the breeding behind them... Romans...Greeks...Goths.. Visigoth..Brits.. French.. and loads of Arabians .. Picts and Celts were the only ones that them feckers couldn't beat with all their legions.
    • 568 posts
    June 15, 2010 9:42 AM PDT
    ya forgot the Etruscans...
  • g
    June 15, 2010 9:50 AM PDT
    lol.
    • 601 posts
    June 15, 2010 10:03 AM PDT
    ezzyrider wrote...
    ya forgot the Etruscans...

Where they from ? Etruscia...! Oh...I forgot the lesbians from Lesbania LONG LIVE THE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF CORK  If u want to beat us you better have a bigger stick !

• 2 posts
    June 15, 2010 12:51 PM PDT
    Thanks ezzrider for pointing out where we are all heading.

Seems the Irish never accepted where their strengths lay. - The Scots gave us the two handed broadsword - The English, the longbow - The Americans, aimed rifle fire - The Spanish, integrated artillery - The French, the 75mm field piece - The Irish give us the shillelagh; handy in a brawl not so much in a war.

When the Irish turn their mind to politics (aided by some good espionage, in the case of the Easter Rebellion) they win. Seems like they are going to take the North pretty soon. The Irish are the last people in Europe who enjoy making babies. I pay no attention to the rumor that Ireland's population boom is because it is impossible to put a condom on after a 6 pack of Guinness
    • 126 posts
    June 15, 2010 12:54 PM PDT
    I understand that it is evan more crazy then the USA. I didn't think that was possable.
    • 601 posts
    June 16, 2010 5:52 AM PDT
    Just for you 99

John Holland......Irish...inventor of the Submarine , kinda handy in a war !

9 Irishmen were signatories to the American Declaration of Independance.

General Richard Montgomery..Irish...highest ranking officer K.I.A American War of Independance

Jimmy Hoban...Irish...designed and built the white house ( when he was too old for fighting)

IN MEMORY OF

CAPTAIN EDMOND J. LANDERS,

SS, BSM, PH.

born on 7th July 1937

Oola, County Limerick, Ireland.

Officer Commanding Company 'A',

2nd. Battalion,

18th. Infantry,

1st. Infantry Division,

UNITED STATES ARMY

Killed in Action at Gia Dinh,Vietnam

Sunday 15 May 1968

Actually still commemorated in Vietnam, by the people he fought against. I know his family, nice folks

• 2 posts
    June 16, 2010 12:33 PM PDT
    Rory1, you will never hear me say anything negative about the Irish, they had wits enough to shoo my ancestors along, allowing me to be born an American.
    Ireland is showing the way on developing a prosperous nation - Wish we would imitate them.- Only nation in Europe w/ enough confidence in the future to bother reproducing themselves.
    But the troubles sure upset me, a lot of dead people to no good end & no end in sight. Then they put their mind to the politics of the situation and carried the day.

Interesting about Holland, he conceived the submarine to attack the Royal Navy but never gave much thought to where to base them or who was going to pay for them outside of the US & the Royal Navy.
    • 601 posts
    June 17, 2010 2:14 AM PDT
    When we tire of fighting 99 we are quite good at talking, not slagging ya off ...I really wanted to post that bit about Capt Landers. just didn't know where to post it.!. I know his family and was at the 40th anniversary of his death, there was a guy there who fought with him from Ohio, the stories he had to tell were great if kinda scary.
  • June 17, 2010 2:34 AM PDT
    Nah Rory. Don't need a bigger stick, I'll just get a bigger CORK SCREW!
    • 601 posts
    June 17, 2010 3:18 AM PDT
    bikersarge1 wrote...
    Nah Rory. Don't need a bigger stick, I'll just get a bigger CORK SCREW!

Wine is for loolah's....15 pts of Murphys or Guinness, may try the wine then !!! as for the condom bit...like playin' pool with a rope after guinness