S.M.B.R

• 601 posts
    June 13, 2010 4:30 AM PDT
    We have a bit of a tradition here of going for Sunday Morning Breakfast Runs ( SMBR), well we stayed local this morning and ran to Whitegate Village as the crow flies its about 1 mile from me...but by road 57miles, we wont let the government spoil our harbour with a bridge. I visited Roches Point light-house, which is the last land that Irish people seen before they landed in America, also the last land that passengers on the Titanic saw before sinking 2000 miles away, for those of you with Irish forebears this is it....first pic is where I live...second is Roches Point, look hard enough and you can see Newfoundland....about 3300 miles west
    • 413 posts
    June 13, 2010 4:33 AM PDT
    Great pics rory; ya be a fortunate man.
    • 601 posts
    June 13, 2010 4:43 AM PDT
    FxrDude wrote...

Good to see ya back...some of us missed ya brother, missed ya big time.

• 1780 posts
    June 13, 2010 4:44 AM PDT
    Rory you and all the rest over the pond that have that kind of cool ass riding just don't know how lucky you are. Of course you have been accross the USA and relize Texas is as flat as a cow turd.
    • 413 posts
    June 13, 2010 4:49 AM PDT
    rory1 wrote...
    FxrDude wrote...

Good to see ya back...some of us missed ya brother, missed ya big time.

Same here rory

• 601 posts
    June 13, 2010 4:54 AM PDT
    I've seen the vastness of America dragon, but you guys will never understand the confines of Ireland, we are a wind and rain swept rock in the Atlantic, but our roads are great fun. My commute to work is 26 miles, as the crow flies its 6 !....we don't do tunnels and bridges here, it makes it more interesting to avoid obstacles that to obliterate them.
  • June 13, 2010 5:02 AM PDT
    Beautiful setting Rory ~ I'm fortunate to live around the water and mountains as well. Don't have any lighthouses that close to where I live though ~ about 1-1/2 hour ride ;-) If you like lighthouses, you'd love the west coast of the US. Oh ~ the last one is of The Space Needle in Seattle ~ not a lighthouse, but it's 600 ft tall ~ and I live about 1 hour north.

• 2072 posts
    June 13, 2010 5:30 AM PDT
    BEAUTIFUL pictures!! Glad to hear you havent allowed it to be ruined by man made structures !!!
    • 601 posts
    June 13, 2010 6:54 AM PDT
    Nice pics Blackpearl, I like lighthouses, first thing i see when i pull the blinds in the morning. Something solid and permanant about them, once they are there all is well with the world. I visited Ponce Inlet lighthouse in Florida last year, and the curator of the museum there had visited our lighthouse a few years back....we ended up going out for dinner and beer. certain things draw people together...be it bikes, wild animals or even lighthouses ! Thats a good thing.
  • June 13, 2010 7:17 AM PDT
    You're a lucky man Rory! Yes ~ when you see that light, you know you're coming into port. Oregon has the plethora of lighthouses ~ a rugged coastline, but very inclined for all to see. Have enjoyed traveling it many times. The Space Needle is a historic landmark for Seattle ~ Century 21 Worlds Fair in 1962. I remember going there with the family as a young kid ~ still has its' mystique. Back then, the motto was 'It's a dollar to go up, but we let you down for free...' ~ now I understand it's $16 to ride up to the top. Hard to believe it's going to be 50 years old! Originally painted orange and white with no 'lower restaurant' ~ during the earthquake of 1964, some of my friends were up there and it was swaying a few feet side to side... what a ride, huh??? ;-)