Electrical

• June 7, 2010 2:02 PM PDT
    Anyone used one of the badlands run/turn/brake modules to add run and brake function to your rear turn signals?  We bobbed the rear fenders and got rid of the fender mounted tail light.  I got the unit for my wifey that has the built in load balancer for running L.E.D.'s. It seems to be fine.  The less expensive one for running incandesant bulbs in mine burnt up in about ten minutes.   I double checked the wiring and was good. I ended up wiring the rear signals with a couple DPDT relay switches and an automotive thrmal blinker like I used to use when building rail buggies.  Haven't checked with the mfg. yet, but was just wandering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I think I like the idea of the old school way since if it goes bad I can drop into any radioshack to get a replacement part for $5 ea. The Badlands module was $90.
    • 1066 posts
    June 7, 2010 2:11 PM PDT
    James, i've got the brake lights with the t.signals on my LowRider. I don't know if that was a factory deal or not, but no problems with it. The turn signals don't function as running lights though.
  • June 7, 2010 2:36 PM PDT
    defcon, the module failed after you let the magical blue smoke out! haha
  • June 7, 2010 3:36 PM PDT
    But I inhaled it and blew it back in !!???? WTF?
  • June 7, 2010 3:38 PM PDT
    i don't understand, it should have kept working
    • 19049 posts
    June 7, 2010 11:16 PM PDT
    Been using the HD official plug in relay on Rex for the turn/brake light function. It Works fine. Actually there were two different relays. The first one came with instructions to do some wire cutting and splicing for some models. I didn't do it and it still worked fine. Later they improved the design with a smaller relay and I put that one in since the first relay was kind of large and I didn't like where it sat under my seat.