Bikers Creed

• May 25, 2010 3:36 AM PDT
     Found this where I had posted it a LONG time ago on another forum.  Thought it might be of interest.  I am sure that some have seen it before.....

BIKERS CREED:

I ride because it is fun.

I ride because I enjoy the freedom I feel from being exposed to the elements, and the vulnerability to the danger that is intrinsic to riding.

I do not ride because it is fashionable to do so.

I ride my machine, not wear it. My machine is not a symbol of status. It exists simply for me, and me alone.

My machine is not a toy. It is an extension of my being, and I will treat it accordingly, with the same respect as I have for myself.

I strive to understand the inner-workings of my machine, from the most basic to the most complex.

I will learn everything I can about my machine, so that I am reliant upon no one but myself for it's health and well being.

I strive to constantly better my skill of control over my machine. I will learn its limits, and use my skill to become one with my machine so that
    we may keep each other alive. I am the master, it is the servant. Working together in harmony, we will become an invincible team.

I do not fear death. I will, however, do all possible to avoid death prematurely. Fear is the enemy, not death. Fear on the highway leads to death, therefore I will not let fear be my master. I will master it.

My machines will outlive me. Therefore, they are my legacy. I will care for them for future bikers to cherish as I have cherished them, whoever they may be.

I do not ride to gain attention, respect, or fear from those that do NOT ride, nor do I wish to intimidate or annoy them. For those that do not know me, all I wish from them is to ignore me. For those that desire to know me, I will share with them the truth of myself, so that they might understand me and not fear others like me.

I will never be the aggressor on the highway. However, should others mess with me, their aggression will be dealt with in as severe manner as I can cast upon them.

I will show respect to other bikers more experienced or knowledgeable than I am. I will learn from them all I can. However, if my respect is not acknowledged or appreciated, it will end.

I will not show disrespect to other bikers less experienced or knowledgeable than I am. I will teach them what I can. However, if they show me disrespect, they will be ignored.

It will be my task to mentor new riders, that so desire, into the lifestyle of the biker, so that the breed shall continue. I shall instruct them, as I have been instructed by those before me. I shall preserve and honor traditions of bikers before me, and I will pass them on unaltered.

I will not judge other bikers on their choice of machine, their appearance, or their profession. I will judge them only on their conduct as bikers. I am proud of my accomplishments as a biker, though I will not flaunt them to others. If they ask, I will share them.

I will stand ready to help any other biker that truly needs my help.

I will never ask another biker to do for me what I can do for myself.

I am not a part-time biker. I am a biker when, and where ever I go. I am proud to be a biker, and hide my chosen lifestyle from no one. I ride because I love freedom, independence, and the movement of the ground beneath me. But most of all, I ride to better understand myself, my machine, the lands in which I ride, and to seek out and know other bikers like myself. 

• May 25, 2010 4:01 AM PDT
    Very good!! I might change "slapped" to "ignored" (you have nothing you need to prove to them). Crossfire
  • May 25, 2010 4:33 AM PDT
    Crossfire wrote...
    Very good!! I might change "slapped" to "ignored" (you have nothing you need to prove to them). Crossfire

Great idea.  Edit has been made.

• 568 posts
    May 25, 2010 4:49 AM PDT
    that's pretty powerful, very good!
  • May 25, 2010 5:02 AM PDT
    ezzyrider wrote...
    that's pretty powerful, very good!

Thank you.  As I mentioned, I was looking through some VERY old posts on another forum and found it.  I have no idea who penned it originally but, after ten years, it STILL fits the bill!!!!

• 2072 posts
    May 25, 2010 5:02 AM PDT
    Very cool
  • May 25, 2010 7:38 AM PDT
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing it ~ great words to live by!
    • 601 posts
    May 25, 2010 9:06 AM PDT
    I'm sure to make a mess of this.....http://www.langdalefamily.com/creed />

See told ya.

• May 25, 2010 9:48 AM PDT
    rory1 wrote...
    I'm sure to make a mess of this.....http://www.langdalefamily.com/creed />

See told ya.

Not bad....not bad at all!!!!!

• May 25, 2010 10:19 AM PDT
    I'm in total agreeance with that posting. Thanks for sharing with us.
    Hoss
    • 1780 posts
    May 25, 2010 10:26 AM PDT
    hbrogan57 wrote...
     Found this where I had posted it a LONG time ago on another forum.  Thought it might be of interest.  I am sure that some have seen it before.....

BIKERS CREED:

I ride because it is fun.

I ride because I enjoy the freedom I feel from being exposed to the elements, and the vulnerability to the danger that is intrinsic to riding.

I do not ride because it is fashionable to do so.

I ride my machine, not wear it. My machine is not a symbol of status. It exists simply for me, and me alone.

My machine is not a toy. It is an extension of my being, and I will treat it accordingly, with the same respect as I have for myself.

I strive to understand the inner-workings of my machine, from the most basic to the most complex.

I will learn everything I can about my machine, so that I am reliant upon no one but myself for it's health and well being.

I strive to constantly better my skill of control over my machine. I will learn its limits, and use my skill to become one with my machine so that
    we may keep each other alive. I am the master, it is the servant. Working together in harmony, we will become an invincible team.

I do not fear death. I will, however, do all possible to avoid death prematurely. Fear is the enemy, not death. Fear on the highway leads to death, therefore I will not let fear be my master. I will master it.

My machines will outlive me. Therefore, they are my legacy. I will care for them for future bikers to cherish as I have cherished them, whoever they may be.

I do not ride to gain attention, respect, or fear from those that do NOT ride, nor do I wish to intimidate or annoy them. For those that do not know me, all I wish from them is to ignore me. For those that desire to know me, I will share with them the truth of myself, so that they might understand me and not fear others like me.

I will never be the aggressor on the highway. However, should others mess with me, their aggression will be dealt with in as severe manner as I can cast upon them.

I will show respect to other bikers more experienced or knowledgeable than I am. I will learn from them all I can. However, if my respect is not acknowledged or appreciated, it will end.

I will not show disrespect to other bikers less experienced or knowledgeable than I am. I will teach them what I can. However, if they show me disrespect, they will be ignored.

It will be my task to mentor new riders, that so desire, into the lifestyle of the biker, so that the breed shall continue. I shall instruct them, as I have been instructed by those before me. I shall preserve and honor traditions of bikers before me, and I will pass them on unaltered.

I will not judge other bikers on their choice of machine, their appearance, or their profession. I will judge them only on their conduct as bikers. I am proud of my accomplishments as a biker, though I will not flaunt them to others. If they ask, I will share them.

I will stand ready to help any other biker that truly needs my help.

I will never ask another biker to do for me what I can do for myself.

I am not a part-time biker. I am a biker when, and where ever I go. I am proud to be a biker, and hide my chosen lifestyle from no one. I ride because I love freedom, independence, and the movement of the ground beneath me. But most of all, I ride to better understand myself, my machine, the lands in which I ride, and to seek out and know other bikers like myself. 

Awsome my Brother ...words to live by, thank you for sharing this with the family
    Dragon
  • May 25, 2010 1:12 PM PDT
    I am what I am and thank you for being like me too.I ride because it is in my soul and I must to be complete and happy.Thank you for posting that you hit it on the head!
  • May 25, 2010 1:23 PM PDT
    that nailed it! it is in the blood, clean to the bone, whether born knowing, or finding it later in life, i am grateful to share this lifestyle with all the brothers and sisters of the slab. badinfluence
  • June 26, 2010 10:26 AM PDT
    CAN'T PUT IT IN, AND YOU DAMN SURE CAN'T TAKE IT OUT!
    • 611 posts
    December 19, 2011 1:25 PM PST
    Ahhh, just found this and thought that I would bring it back to the 'Front'.
    Everything in here resonates with my heart... Well written
    Biker Edge
    • 34 posts
    December 19, 2011 1:37 PM PST
    gives me lots to 'Ponder out Yonder'------------------nice post
  • December 19, 2011 11:53 PM PST
    Very Cool!
    • 3006 posts
    December 20, 2011 4:21 AM PST
    Love this post,for those who never have ridden & maybe never will, its an eye opener,for those of us that do ride it confirms & validates our thoughts & feelings about riding.
    Thanks Edge for bringing this back up top ! & to HBrogan57 for the original posting!!!
  • December 20, 2011 5:04 AM PST
    There is a lot in this creed that explains me but of course it does NOT define me, first and foremost I'm a father (Scary I know) a Combat Vet and a great group of people around me but yes this creed covers a lot of how I feel... before I got remarried I told the wife that the bike is to be like family because if you ever ask me to sell it, it won't only be my life that is a living hell!
    • 1855 posts
    December 20, 2011 6:02 AM PST
    I don't know who wrote this "Biker's Creed" but it certainly doesn't and never has defined me as a biker. Oh yeah, I ride because I love to ride. But despite that saying plastered on Tee shirts, I have no intention of ever trying to explain it. I'm a biker based on my own definition........not some yuppie sponsored creed. But being a biker doesn't define me; it's only one part (albeit a large part) of who I am. Being a biker doesn't mean I have anything more remarkable in my character or more to offer the world. Hey, I can be just as loving or just as much a jerk with out a motorcycle. As I grow older though, I prefer being thought of as an asshole; allowing me to surprise everyone if, by some miracle, I do something thoughtful. (Just kidding....about doing something thoughtful that is.)
    Never have I cared what another person rides. Nor have I ever bad-mouthed a rider because of his ride (maybe the way he rides).

O. K. I think this whole "Biker Creed" thing is hogwash.  Just the idea of being defined by a list of ideals rubs me the wrong way.  I mean, I believe in God but don't portend that I am someone elses definition of a Christian.  It's absurd.  A good post but still a bit pretentious.   I do believe however, that I am a better person because of the biker lifestyle; despite the fact that I've done some rather questionable things during my life.  But my life experiences have made me who and what I am; a hard-working (now retired), pseudo-intellectual, American Patriot with uncanny 12 ounce curl abilities.  And one more thing; I don't wave to bikers continuously while riding down the road.  Hell, other F250 Pickup drivers don't wave at me.........................unless I'm wearing my Red Man Chewing tobacco hat. 

Peace

• 844 posts
    December 20, 2011 6:13 AM PST
    Thanks hbrogan, good post
  • April 17, 2012 11:37 PM PDT
     Please keeo in mind that this is NOT meant to "define" anyone nor is it meant to put riders into any specific genre'.  I posted it because it's fun and a bit interesting.
    • 658 posts
    April 18, 2012 2:06 AM PDT
    To each hs own, that's what makes this path of life so very interesting to ride down. As for me I loved your post.
    Medic
    • 846 posts
    April 18, 2012 3:12 AM PDT
    Thanks to who ever dug this up I missed it or forgot it the first time. It was a good read.
    • 9 posts
    April 18, 2012 3:41 AM PDT

That's the part, I like the best.  And even tho, I don't currently own a bike, you can't take the biker, outta me...

Ride Free 
    Tweek