Blue Ridge Parkway

• April 5, 2010 3:36 AM PDT
    Ok, for those that have ran the southern loop of the BRP from Asheville to Cherokee what would you say would be the skill level needed. I have about 4,500 miles under my belt and in just about a year, ( I am fairly green.) Some friends and I are riding up to the Cherokee/Maggie Vally  Rallys later this month via the BRP. I have never been up there even in a car. Watching some of the videos on YouTube I am wondering if I am biting off more then I can chew. Going up I don't see much a problem, but coming down...... I really don't know what to expect and don't want in over my head, but at the same time I don't want to miss a really good time because I over analized it.
  • April 5, 2010 3:40 AM PDT
    No special skill required to ride the BRP. If you can ride across town or from where you live to the BRP you'll be just fine.
  • April 5, 2010 3:10 PM PDT
    Speed limit is 45 - so you should have no trouble except for the cagers who are looking evrywhere but where their going
    • 1509 posts
    April 5, 2010 3:17 PM PDT
    Quote of the day: Go for it.
    Rocky
    • 352 posts
    April 5, 2010 3:44 PM PDT
    lol - what he said
  • April 5, 2010 7:45 PM PDT
    Thank you everyone!
  • April 5, 2010 11:46 PM PDT
    Shadow I did it a few years ago. I had just started riding again after about 10 yrs. I had about 400 miles under my new belt at the time it was so beautiful and a wonderful ride. You will be fine.
    Enjoy yourself
  • April 6, 2010 1:39 AM PDT
    Be aware of the weather and changes in elevation this time of the year. It can be sunny and 65 degrees one minute, peaking a mountain in the clouds can quickly change to ice, rain, or snow in no time. Extra cloths, rain gear recommended.

It's a tourist area with lots to see, keep one eye on the road ahead and the other in your mirror, some folks drive with a camera in one hand looking everyplace but wher they are driving, some of them will actually stop on the road ahead of you to take a picture.

Motorcycle riding skill level is not an issue for that road, paying attention is all you have to worry about especially if you are doddling along not keeping up with traffic, avoid blind spots, stay visible.
  • April 6, 2010 10:33 AM PDT
    Shadow, Flatlander makes a good point regarding the weather. since you are kind of new to riding, you don't yet realize that not being prepared for the weather is not just uncomfortable, but can actually be dangerous. Riding in cold or wet weather without proper gear, can make you tense up and not have a feel for the bike. Riding in hot conditions without proper ventilation, and hydration can lead to dizziness. A comfortable rider is much safer.
  • April 7, 2010 12:10 AM PDT
    I learned that lesson the hard way my first trip to the Dragon years ago, riding the loop around the Cherahola Skyway went from short sleeve weather to freezing wet cold miserable teeth chattering riding in no time.
  • April 19, 2010 11:48 PM PDT
    definitely watch the weather. I went there in July one year. We got on top of Mt. Mitchell and ran right into a cloud. Ended up staying the night and heading down the next morning after it had lifted.

As mentioned in other posts...be prepared for any sort of weather.
  • April 21, 2010 12:38 AM PDT
    You gotta put the moonshiner28.com/ on your list of roads to ride there.
  • April 21, 2010 1:02 AM PDT
    I was on the parkway a couple of years ago but had to take a cage, can't wait to ride it! Enjoy, I envy you!
  • April 21, 2010 2:03 AM PDT
    Never miss an opportunity to ride the "Ridge"!!!!!
    One of the best roads in the country hands down.
    I've ridden that road several times and going to ride it again this Summer.
  • August 22, 2010 8:59 AM PDT
    yea, most everyone here who posted is correct. the BRP is a hoot to ride, but be careful of the weather and cages. now the draggon, thats a different story. 312 curves in 11 miles or something close to that. i have no desire to do the draggon. too many curves, and too many crazys!!! like just riding out where people and cages just leave you alone. keep on winginit rick