New rider suggestions?

• 1 posts
    August 16, 2019 4:58 PM PDT

Hi I'm new to the motorcycle scene and looking to get settled in. A while ago I bought my first bike - a KTM 250 2 smoker. A lot of bike for not a lot of experience. Well I thought I would be fine if I just "took it nice and easy" but here I am typing this with a torn ACL. It was my second time riding a motorcycle, the first time it was on a Yamaha 125 2 smoker and I flipped it right on my ass instantly. After having tearing my ACL so early kinda makes me fear ever riding a bike again. I think when I start moving I just panic and drop the clutch and then I tense up and get a handful of throttle.. I've been driving manual cars for a long time so I'm no noob to the clutch, it's just that I tend to get a little nervous on two wheels. I'm thinking sell the 250 and buy a 125 4 stroke. I'm pretty tall so I'd be cramped on a little 125 but I think on a smaller bike I'd feel more comfortable knowing it's a lot lighter and my feet can always touch the ground. 

Looking for suggestions on a good bike I can buy, or advice on not flipping the bike instantly on my ass and I'd really not enjoy tearing my ACL again..

• 19007 posts
    August 17, 2019 11:49 AM PDT

Find a way to be more comfortable on what you have. Maybe de-tune (if possible). Head to one of the MSF classes that have bikes to use and under the eye of a trained instructor he/she might be able to help.

• 3 posts
    March 14, 2021 9:36 PM PDT
    denig, I would also consider not just about a bike, but about specific items and things, which are biker-related, as well. You can look at this great website ( here:motorbikeguy.com ), which is all about stuff for bikers and those who own a motorcycle. It really helps in understanding what stuff should you buy.
    This post was edited by roger11F at March 16, 2021 10:09 AM PDT
    • 1 posts
    March 15, 2021 1:06 PM PDT

Catch those classes like Rex suggested, with the little bike.  The instructors will guide you as to what bikes to avoid for your current skill level.  Also, Roger knows what he is talking about.  Proper gloves and boots will protect those things that you will need if there is an incident and you end up bed bound.

And, I am an idiot , I just saw the date on the post. 

You are probably doing wheelies on a Low rider S by now.......

• 1 posts
    March 15, 2021 5:50 PM PDT

Even though you posted over 18 months ago I'd still advise you to take a class. There is much to learn about riding, whether on the street or off road. I've been riding for 47 years and still am learning and having past learning refreshed. Every road is different with different challenges. Also, as mentioned, use proper equipment. It will save your bacon. Good luck and enjoyable riding.

• 13 posts
    August 23, 2021 12:22 AM PDT

I recommend the Honda Rebel 250. A beginner can easily handle its power and weight.

• 3 posts
    September 4, 2021 11:40 AM PDT

Hi! New to this, I bought a 2012 CMX Rebel, going to fix it up and use this that I found by doing a search on synthetics:

https://www.searchforparts.com/motorcycle-oil-change/honda-2012-cmx-rebel-250

it says only 1.59 quarts, that is good, but should I buy like 6-7 quarts and store in the garage, any suggestions? I want to save on shipping, wonder if the oil in the plastic container in a hot garage will last or degrade?

Also, do all of you learn about your bike and do the maintenance yourself or do you go to a shop like most people do with their vehicles?