Run to Oregon

• 1855 posts
    July 11, 2019 11:24 AM PDT

Cottage Grove, Oregon is in my sights.  Have no use for interstate travel so I'll be doing my best to avoid them.  Thinking of US Rte 36 out Piqua, Ohio to Colorado.  From there I'm not yet sure.  The OL will be with me and she doe NOT camp so any roads we take can't be too far off the beaten path. Time frame? Start end of August and figure on putting a week and a half to get there at the very most.  Uncertain return as long as I'm back before the snow falls. Any thoughts?

• 19007 posts
    July 11, 2019 3:11 PM PDT

[blockquote]RexTheRoadDog said:

Sounds AWESOME! Enjoy! Snow can fall real early in those elevations. I was snowed on in July at Yellowstone.

[/blockquote]

• 1855 posts
    July 19, 2019 5:15 AM PDT

We were lucky in 2013 when we headed to Yellowstone the first week of June.  Of course it was still cold but the roads were clear and there was very little snow in the mountains.  I actually don't know what I was thinking heading out that way in early June.  But now I'm wondering if my mind is right going that way in late August.

• 19007 posts
    July 19, 2019 5:59 AM PDT

With the way the weather has been this summer it is certainly a crap shoot...Prayers for the best and keep your options open.

• 3006 posts
    July 21, 2019 12:47 PM PDT

Sounds like a nice ride.Seems like plenty of time to take the back way out to Oregon.The earliest I seen the snow fly out here in N.Calif-Sierra mtn passes is first weekend of Sept,yet that was like a freak storm.Yet that winter was a rough one as I recall,back in the 1990's, I used to snow ski a lot back then.
    Have a great ride.

• 1855 posts
    August 15, 2019 7:45 AM PDT

I'm not as stamina healthy as I thought.  I'm cancelling the run and selling my motorcycle; a lifestyle that's going to hurt when it's over.

• 19007 posts
    August 17, 2019 11:59 AM PDT

A sad time but a smart decision if you can not ride.

• 2 posts
    April 13, 2021 8:34 AM PDT

A great trip I would like you to tell us how it went, since in the next dates I will be doing that route and that you recommend me to be well equipped.

I work in flat armored glass level 2 and will have permission to travel.

• 31 posts
    September 17, 2022 7:45 PM PDT

Can't help but feel saddened by your choice not to ride, only you know your limitations. I'm 64 and just don't see an end to riding in my future. I wish you luck and happiness in your future....

• 1 posts
    November 2, 2022 9:59 AM PDT
    [blockquote]Jimmyacorn said:

We were lucky in 2013 when we headed to Yellowstone the first week of June. Of course it was still cold but the roads were clear and there was very little snow in the mountains. I actually don't know what I was thinking heading out that way in early June. But now I'm wondering if my mind is right going that way in late August.

This post was edited by jacobdyerkoh at November 2, 2022 1:50 PM PDT