Hand Signals while riding?

• 3006 posts
    January 27, 2019 4:53 PM PST

Just got in some miles today.Had quite a few wavesI am familiar with rider hand signals while group riding.

Was out riding a local backcountry road a lot of riders use,I had just passed a very large rafter of turkeys about to launch themselves across the road on the opposing side of traffic.Approaching me was a group of about 6-8 riders in staggered formation behind a van,I pointed down at the road with my left hand trying to alert them what might be ahead.Checking my rear views I saw the van do some hard braking,yet looked like no one went down.

My question is what would be the appropriate hand signal to warn oncoming riders of immediate danger on their side of the road? If any of course.

• 19004 posts
    January 30, 2019 9:10 AM PST

I've always pointed down towards the road with the appropriate hand (where the hazzard is ) or sometimes used the slow down (left hand open palm down repeated movements from up to down) signal if it was that type of hazzard. Unfortunately too many riders are ignorant of what signals mean. 

• 1855 posts
    January 31, 2019 11:46 AM PST

[blockquote]RexTheRoadDog said:

I've always pointed down towards the road with the appropriate hand (where the hazzard is ) or sometimes used the slow down (left hand open palm down repeated movements from up to down) signal if it was that type of hazzard. Unfortunately too many riders are ignorant of what signals mean. 

[/blockquote]

Yep and too many riders are so stuck on waving that they often give a hand signal instead of a proper acknowledgment type wave.  What is a proper wave? After over 55 years in the wind I still don't know what is "proper".  Normally I just return a wave by slightly raising my left palm up without exaggerating any arm movement.  If you put your left arm down as a wave, regardless of your palm or finger position I will not wave back though I might give you for being an idiot.

• 3006 posts
    February 1, 2019 3:49 PM PST

[/blockquote]

This is what I felt was the proper way to do it also,pointing w/left hand down & then making a palm down motion,thats about all the time I had to complete the gesture.

We have an excellent blog post here on CF on the proper hand signals while group riding,yet it rarely comes up about signaling approaching riders.

stay safe & enjoy the ride

• 2 posts
    March 18, 2019 9:00 AM PDT

[blockquote]Jimmyacorn said:

[/blockquote]

Yep and too many riders are so stuck on waving that they often give a hand signal instead of a proper acknowledgment type wave.  What is a proper wave? After over 55 years in the wind I still don't know what is "proper".  Normally I just return a wave by slightly raising my left palm up without exaggerating any arm movement.  If you put your left arm down as a wave, regardless of your palm or finger position I will not wave back though I might give you for being an idiot.

[/blockquote]

• 2 posts
    March 18, 2019 9:01 AM PDT

I only wave at riders I know. Point down for road hazards

This post was edited by July at March 18, 2019 9:25 AM PDT
    • 22 posts
    May 29, 2019 10:11 PM PDT

I don't know anything more about the right signal, at the time of riding I always do error. Many penalties I will give for the error signal. So there have some course or book about it. So that people don't make any mistake at the time of riding and avoid the accident.

Thanks

• 6 posts
    August 24, 2019 4:42 AM PDT

I point to the lane I am changing to just as an added precaution ... someone who is not directly behind me will see me do that while they may not have noticed my turn signal. 

I too point to hazards in the road for the drivers behind me ... but that's fortunatley not that often.

• 3006 posts
    August 25, 2019 3:27 PM PDT

Here is a different take on some riding signals LMAO hope y'all are having a great summer