The Darkside

• 1161 posts
    February 21, 2017 2:55 AM PST

Been trying to figure out what Tire I should get I have been doing a bunch of investigation on this lately for a quarter of the price of a rear motorcycle tire.  With better traction and longer tread wear.  

• 1855 posts
    February 21, 2017 5:33 AM PST

Go to Jakewilson.com  and check 'em out. As for the "best tire"; I still use the stock Dunlop.  For a couple of reasons:

• I don't do my own mounting on my Heritage with the custom rims
    • It's a PIA
    • HD dealer will not mount tires they don't sell (mine won't anyway)
    • With two up I still manage 12k-15k on my Dunlop

The "best" depends on the riding one does.  Dunlop touring has come along way over the years.  There was a time when I would NEVER even consider Dunlop and AVON was my choice.

Only the living swim upstream

• February 21, 2017 5:43 AM PST

From my past experence....AVON seem to grip the road best, but didn't get that many miles out of them. I now and, in the past run Dunlop tires, and I think I like them the best. 

Be safe

Night Dragon

• 1161 posts
    March 6, 2017 11:50 AM PST

I have had a bunch of VTX 1300R riders tell me about these tires.  

https://www.tires-easy.com/brands/sumic-tires/gt-a?code=5514020

• 58 posts
    March 7, 2017 5:57 AM PST

I have run the old Dunlops that came on my RK (12K - 14K miles), the newer American Elites (22K miles), Michelin (23K), and Metzler 888's (22K - 24K).  It is a toss for me which I like better, so I buy the American Elite or Metzler wichever has the better price.  Currently that is the Metzler.

• 3006 posts
    March 16, 2017 11:08 AM PDT

[blockquote]Seakers said:

I have had a bunch of VTX 1300R riders tell me about these tires.  

https://www.tires-easy.com/brands/sumic-tires/gt-a?code=5514020

[/blockquote]

Curious now what did you end up going with? I know a lot of X riders have gone over to the darkside, some just for the customizing work. And what kind of mileage would you expect from the switch?

That big fat back tire really inspires some confidence lol yet I am sticking with the Pirelli's in the rear,getting about 11-12,000 and I enjoy the ride feel on them compared to the Dunnies I was running before.Tho I still use a dunnie upfront.

stay safe & enjoy the ride

• 1161 posts
    April 12, 2017 1:59 AM PDT

I have not gotten it yet because I'm heading to Oregon to supprize family.  But I'm going to order 205/65R15 AVID ENVIGOR.  
    After talking with a bunch of VTX 1300 riders many were using these to replace the Sumic Tires.  

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?message=singleSize&tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+ENVigor+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29&width=205%2F&ratio=65&diameter=15&partnum=065HR5ENV

• 3006 posts
    April 12, 2017 9:18 PM PDT

Looks like a decent tire.Any mod's you have to do,to fit it on okay? I have a lot of work I need doing on my ride,yet a limited budget to work with.So I tackle them one at a time.For a motorcycle that is 15 years old, I consider myself lucky that there is not more stuff that needs replacing or updating.

Have a great time w/the family and stay safe & enjoy the ride !

• 1161 posts
    April 26, 2017 8:45 AM PDT

No modifications to mount the tire.  But I can relate to having an older bike that needs some work with a limited budget, my 1980 CM400T needed a bit of work as well.  Here is before and after picture on it.

• 4 posts
    May 5, 2017 12:57 AM PDT

It looks great!