Searching

• 3 posts
    December 27, 2016 2:16 PM PST

Hello everyone I am from Connecticut and am new to this site. I have been looking around the site to get a feel for it and it seems like there are a lot of guenuine and very nice people here. I m not one to play around a lot on a computer but I do on occasion. I find myself wanting to ride my bike further and further each year and this year I have my sites set on Milwaulkie. I prefer backroads to highway and want to see some more of this great nation. I will be taking this years trip in June and am looking for insight to great riding roads and interesting things to see and do. If anyone has any ideas and would like to share that would be great. Thanks a bunch and look forward to hearing from you 

Bill

• 1855 posts
    December 27, 2016 5:06 PM PST

Welcome to the best Biker Forum on the WWW.  I could suggest travel west out of Ct. but I took the looooooonnnnng way back to Ohio.  But from Ohio you could travel I-90 west to I-94 if you don't mind the traffic.  That would be the fastest route.  However, from Ohio you could take Rte. 24 off of I-90 and follow that route all the way west to Rte 47 in Illinois and north to I-43 and come in the back way (from the west).  It's far but if you're not in a hurry there's always a rest in Lake Geneva. 

I'm sure you'll get some good responses from a couple of guys who live over that way. In any event, have fun.

• 3 posts
    December 28, 2016 2:32 AM PST

Thanks Jimmyacorn I am taking the route less traveled so i m not in any big hurry. I prefer backroads to highway anyday! I figure 3 to 4 days to get there and the same to get back with a few days in the Milwaulkie area if there is good riding around there. I will check it out thanks again

• 57 posts
    December 28, 2016 5:00 AM PST

Welcome Bill, I think you would like any of the backroads across NY, RT6 -or 23 or 20 to Niagra Falls 

area then cross into Canada and head to Sarnia not Detroit to cross into Michigan then maybe 21 across Mi. towards Grand Rapids or Muskegon, you can take the high speed ferry across Lake Michigan to Milwaukee if you dont want to go up around into the Upper Penisula of Mi. but that is a great ride also, the south end of lake Michigan is a mess stay away from Gary and Chicago, after you have decided on a route then you can really zoom in on the area and find POI along the way. Have a Great Ride and stay Safe

• 19028 posts
    December 28, 2016 6:35 AM PST

Welcome from the At-Large member (currently in Terlingua, TX) to the Best Damned Family Friendly Biker site on the entire web.

And Hunter55 has some great suggestions. AVOID I-90 if at all possible, 20 is a great road across NY. West of Erie PA the area is mostly urban/suburban/industrial sprawl so crossing at Niagara is a much better ride. I think you'll need a passport, though.

Good luck with the trip and post some photos as you go.

This post was edited by RexTheRoadDog at December 28, 2016 6:36 AM PST
    • 1855 posts
    December 28, 2016 7:20 AM PST

I was waiting for Hunter to chime in.  HIs suggestion is certainly a great route.  I have been that way myself.  From Ct. I'm not so sure that there and back could be accomplished in 4-5 days.  If you're retired it probably doesn't matter though now does it. 

Dang Hunter, I think Gypsy and I are going that way again once we get back to Ohio.

• 58 posts
    December 28, 2016 10:24 AM PST

Welcome from East TX.  I haven't been up that way much but I do know there is some great riding up that way.  Which ever route you choose will, I am sure, be fun and interesting.  Stay safe up there.

This post was edited by RufCut at December 28, 2016 10:25 AM PST
    • 16819 posts
    December 28, 2016 11:23 AM PST

Hello From the Lake Erie shores of PA.

I agree with RexTheRoadDog, west of Erie PA. on RT 20 is a great ride.

• 3 posts
    January 22, 2017 9:43 AM PST

Thanks for the great ideas I will look at all of them. I'm taking 4-5 days to get there not round trip I think I would have to do highway to make it that fast. I have been looking at Rt 6 from Pa thru Indianna, the first half looks great but i m not so sure about the second half. The part from Clevland west seems to be fields and I do want to stay away from city life as much as possible. I am thinking about staying west of Milwaulkie for a few days.  Is there any good riding out that way?

• 57 posts
    January 22, 2017 2:56 PM PST

S/W of Madison to Dubuque and into N/W Illinois just pick a back road and roll along some very nice roads, S/W of Milwaukee the Lake Geneva area can be very congested on the weekends but a nice ride, a couple hours N. of Milwaukee is Door County just google or you tube it all kinds of biker friendly things there and a very nice ride, WARNING!!! stay away from N/w In.and Chicago on RT.6

Good Luck with the Ride