The Milk Riders! Hey I'm a nurse-midwife, this is in my field!

• 11 posts
    December 8, 2016 7:03 AM PST

"Female motorcycle group helps transport breastmilk to babies in need"   This came thru today in the Good News section of MSN Newsfeed from "People" I'll see if I can get the article or the link to post.

This is the True & Real reason that God made Boobs!  Hope & Pray this club spreads faster than wildfire!  (ATTN: Lucky and/or other Moderators: if it is non-cool to post the pic, I understand).

http://a.msn.com/01/en-us/AAl5dHi?ocidmotorcycle group helps transport breastmilk to babies in need.  Now, to get folks to donate a motorcycle just to/for me, a homebirthing nurse-midwife!  Other than typical passenger vehicles, I've arrived at births in a massive truck w/ snowplow on the front, a horse, a snowmobile & I've ended up walking a couple times (thru snow); but never, yet, on a bike! 

Milk Riders© SkrullzProductionsLLC Milk Riders

The New York Milk Bank delivers donated breast milk to babies in need if the mother’s breast milk is unavailable or in low supply — but executive director Julie Bouchet-Horwitz wanted to find a faster way to transport the milk.

While sitting in traffic, Bouchet-Horwitz noticed motorcycles zipping through lanes. She got the idea to get an all-female motorcycle group involved, and reached out to Sirens Women’s Motorcycle Group of New York City.

“I didn’t look for a male motorcycle club ― I immediately thought of women because of the female connection between all of us,” she told the Huffington Post. “It’s women who are donating milk and nursing their babies.”

The group’s president, Jen Baquial, brought up the idea at a club meeting, and the members unanimously voted to bring the idea to life. They dubbed their new volunteer operation the Milk Ride

“After speaking with Julie and learning about the amazing work that the NYMB has been doing to get life-saving breast milk to babies that need it, I was immediately excited and wanted to let the club know about it,” Baquial told the news site.

The Milk Riders help transport pre-screened breast milk from donor mothers to the NYMB storage facility, and also deliver processed and pasteurized milk from the milk bank to hospitals and private homes in need.

“It’s all about women helping women helping babies,” said Bouchet-Horwitz.

This post was edited by tanzanitediamond at December 8, 2016 7:24 AM PST