The Heat

• 1855 posts
    July 10, 2016 7:35 AM PDT

So how do you guys deal with the 95+ degree heat when you're on the road? I'm damn P.O.'d at being older so I don't deal with it as well as I use to be able to.

• 13 posts
    July 10, 2016 7:55 AM PDT

We ride in desert heat a lot (100° plus), which is a little different than the humid heat you have to deal with.

For me the most comfortable is to wear a long sleave white t-shirt to keep the sun off of all of my skin and let the wind keep the shirt cool.  I carry an extra water bottle and when it gets real uncomfortabel I wet down my sleeves and shoulders.  The wet cloth in the wind makes a crude air conditioner (since air conditioners work via evaporation also).  I have even had my arms get cold in 100° weather at 60mph when wet.

Of course dring lots of water and stay hydrated to keep you core temp in check.

There are also a few products out there like neck coolers and even cool vests that work on the same evapoiration priciple.

This post was edited by EventMan at July 10, 2016 7:56 AM PDT
    • 19031 posts
    July 11, 2016 3:53 AM PDT

Yep, what he said...I too ride in the desert heat and long sleeves and water bottle really helps. Re-soak a doo rag / bandanaa folded and tied across the forehead. Best to keep moving, and only stop where there is shade, and hydrate until you think you are full, then do it again...

In the wet where you live ( I HATE humidity) I didn't ride too much when it was up around 90-95. 

• July 11, 2016 6:59 AM PDT

Being born to this Bama heat you fight it in much of the same way as event man posted but inbetween water bottles add gatorade or powerade take more breaks an when the heat index is bumping a 100 plus do riding in the evening hours after sun goes down I notice a slow down at my shop from JULY to end of August that tells me fewer people are riding an for the older bikers thats mostly likely the best way to fight the heat ride till end of june break thru july an august an enjoy the fall riding

• 1855 posts
    July 11, 2016 12:59 PM PDT

Well we haven't been doing much local riding because of 100+ heat index.  So the heat isn't really conducive to just cruising about locally.  I just don't feel like cruising around (having no place to go) in it.   We don't do local runs; stopped doing those poker runs years ago anyway.

We'll be heading out in a week or so and I'll be as prepared for the heat as I've always been; doing exactly what ya'll have mentioned.  Was just curious if ya'll had anything I might not already know about.  Even 50 years in the wind doesn't mean I can't learn something new as much as I hate to admit it.  LOL

Ya'll have a great summer.  Stay cool, Stay in touch cuz ya never know which of us might be behind you on the road.

• 3006 posts
    July 12, 2016 10:32 PM PDT

One thing I do when riding thru extra humid hot weather is try to ride after dark.Another is stashing some ice cold or frozen water bottles in my bag,when I get real hot pull over soak a doo rag and wrap the back of my neck and repeat as needed.Gives some sun protection and usually quickly cools my head down or at least lessens it.

We have been having a fairly mild summer here, not a lot of heat yet.Typically the last couple weeks of August into September are hottest.Worst heat I ever felt was down in Tucson in the late summer,during the monsoon season,stayed about a week & temps never dipped below 95 even at night,daytime temps upper 100's 

Hope you have a good summer too & get some decent riding time in & don't forget the sunscreen !!!