The Power Ball just hit 800 MILLION-What would you do with all t

• January 8, 2016 8:32 AM PST
    First I'd take a lump sum pay out, then I'd set all my Family an close Friends at ten million a piece that would eat up 300 million then I'd  give to various charities that only help American Families dropping a 100 million finally the last 100 million would be mine I would simply become a Drifter leaving a trail of wore out Street Glides marking where I'D been with notes attached IF she fires friend shes yours!
    • 84 posts
    January 8, 2016 1:35 PM PST
    800 million is an obscene amount of money. Hell, $50 million even sounds obscene to me. A quick calculation for living out my life comfortably (assuming I live until 90) comes in at around $1,350,000. Well, OK, for me that's living pretty large and I'd probably even save 10-20% of that over time. Hell, $750,000 in stable securities bringing in 3% a year adds another $22,500 to the kitty annually which would make depleting the "living expense fund" that much more challenging as my annual fixed expenses don't come close to that now.

I wouldn't give to charities because I don't much trust them. Witnessed too much graft and too many big salaries peel away a lot of donated money that the donors believed was going to lighten the burden of those less fortunate. When in reality it only served to enrich family and friends of those running the show. Over 20 years ago a running joke in West Africa was that all the aid programs advertised in 1st world countries were little more than, "the poor people of rich countries feeding the rich people of poor countries". Hearing and seeing that go on has a lasting effect on one's frame of mind.

That amount of money would be enough to create your own endowment fund (staying away from the word charity) to help those in need and insure the greatest number of dollars were used to help the greatest number of people. I neither need nor want millions lying around with nothing to do. Giving large sums of money to most of my friends that need it would probably do them more harm than good. Changing them into something that would remove the core reason I called them friends in the first place. The trick would be placing the money into hands that would give the greatest return over years and generations. Teaching people how to fish as it is said.

While I can see the potential of doing a lot of good things with $800,000,000 I'm probably better off with living life the way I do on what I have now. Don't see that much money doing anything but making life more complicated.
    • 57 posts
    January 9, 2016 1:06 AM PST
    Sunchaser74 wrote...
    First I'd take a lump sum pay out, then I'd set all my Family an close Friends at ten million a piece that would eat up 300 million then I'd  give to various charities that only help American Families dropping a 100 million finally the last 100 million would be mine I would simply become a Drifter leaving a trail of wore out Street Glides marking where I'D been with notes attached IF she fires friend shes yours!

I would also give my family a large amount of money and die obscenely wealthy and eff the rest,
    Sunchaser74 I think you  could ride and give away a New StreetGlide every day for over 100 years,
    that would be if you got all $800,000,000  cash pay out only 50 years .
  • January 9, 2016 2:27 AM PST
    yes your right on the bikes but leaving my old rides on the side of the road would make my Biker Fame grow lol taxes cant forget UNCLE SAM
  • January 9, 2016 5:04 AM PST
    From an old Glen Campbell song.........."You would be getting cards and letters from people you don't even know" !!!
    LOL
    At least Uncle Sam can't take your dreams from you......
    • 1855 posts
    January 9, 2016 5:11 AM PST
    I'm pretty sure I'd go into a coma or have a heart attack.  As for sharing: my kids never listened to a damn thing I told them over the years so I'm not one to go rewarding dumbass behavior.

Well, that may be how I feel but I'd give in and help out the family.   Disproportionately of course since they've all accused me of playing favorites.  LOL

First thing is I'd pay off our mortgage and then:

Give to Children's Hospital in Cincinnati (my grand daughter has spinabifida) and pay the medical bills.   Give to St. Jude's because they never turn a child away.  Help as many Veteran's as I can but not through any money grabbing charities. Make sure my step mother never has to worry about anything.  Set up trust funds for my grand children.  Then:

Buy a new Ultra and ride 'till I die.
    • 57 posts
    January 9, 2016 11:50 PM PST
    Expecting the total to be $1.3 billion now, Wow
  • January 10, 2016 1:42 AM PST
    Crazy that nobody has hit yet I am headed to pick up my ticket today, Alabama doesn't do the lottery so I have to go to Tennessee to buy a ticket yes I only buy one cause that's all it takes 75 miles away nice little bike ride but its cold an raining looks like I'll be in RAM R/T today lastly if I win my new address will be in Tennessee well HOMEBASE will be there !
    • 3006 posts
    January 13, 2016 6:27 AM PST
    Just seen a new headline the prize amount is 1.5 billions,Uncle Sam will take a hefty chunk,fortunately Calif does not tax lottery winnings !!! Apparently one big pitfall is being overly generous with gifts to family n friends, a lot of taxes are levied and often deplete the kitty rapidly.
    Personally I would start and run my own non profit corp.Devoted solely to helping out people less fortunate that I personally made sure received the help they required. Life has taught me if you give people the money outright they just go blow it or end up complicating their life more than when the money was not there.
    I won on this last game and I am using the proceeds to buy more tickets using their money.Over 15 million I read was paid out of this last prize amount.
    Good Luck everyone !!!
  • January 14, 2016 4:29 AM PST
    WELL I didn't hold any of the winning numbers to the winners I say congrats ! may they take huge bites out of life !
  • June 15, 2017 6:58 AM PDT

Doc just so ya know..........Your one Hell of a Good Dude! I like the way you think.

Night Dragon