Need help with an audio system question

• September 30, 2015 3:27 PM PDT
    I have a 2004 Road King Custom and bought an aftermarket windshield and faring to put a stereo system on it. It works great, but I have since came up with an idea but cannot seem to figure out the problem. My Road King does not have the radio control on the hand controls like the ultra classic and other touring bikes have. I would like to know if it is possible to purchase a Harley radio (harmon Kardon) and for example the controls for the ultra classic and put them on the road king. The Horn, Hi/Lo beam and turn signal are the same. The only difference would be the addition of the radio control. My problem is that I have heard but not able to find any information, that the radio control goes to a main harness, which is then ran up to the radio. Is there a way to wire in the radio without having to change the harness.
    My goal with this is to have a Harley radio with thumb control for volume and tuning on the left hand control, just like on the ultra classic.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, whether it is pictures, or diagrams or experience....thanks in advance
    • 19004 posts
    September 30, 2015 10:11 PM PDT
    As you probably already know you will need an electrical schematic to verify this. And undoubtedly some connectors and moderate skill at wiring. Do-able but with some planning. One little thing I discovered with my 04 King is that the left turn signal wire is also used at the antenna for the security system...only AFTER I installed chubby apes with the wiring put inside the bars thus limiting the range of my remote. So plan ahead, unlike I did.

A quick Google search will help...Here are a couple links I found>>>

www.cyclesounds.com/rock-box-all-in-one-audio-source-wired-for-handlebar-controls.html />
    http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/706839-aftermarket-radio-with-stock-handlebar-controls.html />