Thoughts on Open Carry of Hand Guns

• May 23, 2015 2:29 AM PDT
     This topic may have come up before, but in the light of Texas becoming another state where open carry will be legal I would light to hear from you, and your thoughts on Open Carry. Will it deter crime or make it worse???????

A Pice of Texas History to remember....Some of you may remember this, some not:   Oct. 16th 1991 in Killeen Texas George Hennard drove his Ford Pick up through the window of a Luby's Restaurant getting out shouting this is what Bell County did to me. He had a Clock 17 and a Ruger P89 and began shooting people. He killed 23 people, 10 of which were at point blank range to the head. He also wounded 20 others. NO ONE in Luby's had a gun. When the Police finally arrived he retreated to a bathroom where he killed himself. Would it have been different if someone in there had a weapon to protect themselfs?
    We will never know, but at least maybe some would have made it out alive.
    My personal thoughts on open carry........In Tennessee we have a open carry law, and sometimes I open carry, and sometimes I don't, but I always carry.
    The Police (which I believe don't like the open carry law) say if you are somewhere and you encounter a perp that is dead set on doing what he does best, that if he sees your gun he will shoot you first. I say if he sees my gun he will move on to a solfter target and find a place where no one is wearing a gun. This is just my opinion, I would love to hear yours.
    There is one thing we all need to remember, wearing a gun either in the open or concealed is a huge responibility, if you draw your weapon you may just have to take a life. Are you prepaired to do so?

Be safe
    Night Dragon

• 1 posts
    May 24, 2015 3:32 AM PDT
    Night Dragon, I do remember this and I also remember one of the survivors testament about how she had to leave her legal CCL gun outside. And how she could have stopped the guy as he had to reload to kill more people, namely her mother.

https://youtu.be/V-oNMHNrS-8 />
    My thoughts are from both sides of the coin.

CCL: As someone who is CCL I prefer that my weapon to defend myself and or love remains hidden till life and death are staring me in the eye. (just a term) I know that to the common tugs who seem to be running a mock in the streets that this 5' 110 lbs of aging women may look like a easy target. That is one reason why I train for the unforeseen. But I am always very aware of how fast and how easy a bad situation can change to life and death. (part of what all the training is for) Don't get me wrong I would never want to kill anyone but I also think that when live and death of myself and loves ones are involve I am a fighter and would go down trying to help others… Whether someone I knew or someone that just needed my help. (by the way all this is legal in my state, to kill or shoot to defend the lives of others)

Open carry: I grew up with open carry as farmers usually have guns when they go out to the fields, for coyotes, wild dogs what ever. It has never bothered me and it still does not. I walk into a restaurant and see someone open carry I know that these thugs are going to see it also. Maybe it will be a deterrent to not pull their dumb shit in this place. I have no trouble with their choose to do so.

I see this more of an individual choice ( sort of like what style undies you wear) what ever they are comfortable with. Me I just prefer to conceal , no need to make them aware of what I might or might not be able to do to defend myself. Sort of the old saying start no trouble there will be no trouble,.
    • 1855 posts
    May 27, 2015 2:52 AM PDT
    The only thing I see is that it might scare some folks. Ohio is introducing legislation to allow anyone (who is legal) to carry (concealed) without going through training or getting a permit. Personally I think everyone needs to be trained on how to use a handgun and I'm not all that fond of the legislation. But that's just my thought.

Peace
  • May 27, 2015 4:05 AM PDT
    Night Dragon. I have my CHL in Texas and will probably not open carry. I'm all for the right to do so and I think those who will open carry will apply enough show of force necessary. Unfortunately the fact of the matter is that many people will feel uncomfortable and distracted when they see open firearms. Many do not understand that the carrier is to the most part a licensed individual. Doesn’t make sense for a criminal to open carry. Sort of like painting a billboard on himself. I personally attend too many family oriented activities and already hear the chatter of open carry among all the sheep. I don’t want to add to their ignorance nor possibly give my kids any disadvantages due to a parent’s issue with open carry or firearms in general. I rather them remain ignorant of what I have on me. I also want to believe that anyone who does carry open or concealed does so with the understanding that they have decided to become an extension of the Law if the time comes. I would hate to think that many of those who decide to carry will nut up when it hits the fan. With that said; those who open carry take on a huge burden. I will continue to support the freedom to carry, but will do so in my own fashion. Initially, I think law enforcement will be more inquisitive with any open carrier just to make sure they are authorized to legally carry. Some will take that offensively and will show their a$$ when asked for their license. That’s what we will see on the news. But until open carry loses its luster and folks are desensitized, I’ll remain concealed. Like with many issues today, open carry will be old news in the matter of weeks.
    • 1 posts
    May 29, 2015 12:44 AM PDT
    Jimmy in less then one month non permit for conceal starts in my state. We already have non permit open carry.
    The things I seen about this
    1) I do not see any more people open carry when it became legal to do so. I hardly ever see anyone open carry except the cops and the farmers.

2) it just reinforces the 2nd amendment.

3) I don't think it changes any thing. IE: Most citizens are not going to strap on a gun just because they can. I would like to think that most are still going to learn their rights and obligations as a person who carries both open and conceal. And so far conceal carry classes are still full around here . So maybe people are not just going to run and muck… at least I can hope that people are smart enough to learn about guns and learn of their responsibilities if you carry a gun.

4) open carry without premit is only good for that state… Not a smart choice when you live so close to state lines.

Just my 2 cents, I could be wrong.
  • May 29, 2015 1:00 AM PDT
    Bitchy is right......Tennessee is an open carry state, and I bet in the two and a half years that I've been here I have seen maybe 5 or 6 people open carry. Sometimes I think people look at open carry like they do helmet laws. Everyone knows it's probably best to conceal, just like everyone knows it's safer to wear a helmet. We just don't like the Government TELLING us what THEY think is best for us.
    Be safe
    Night Dragon
  • May 29, 2015 6:43 AM PDT
    The second amendment says it all. The right to bare arms means anyone who chooses to do so IS allowed to carry a firearm, and that RIGHT is not to be infringed by ANY government entity. Aside from that...I believe that anyone who chooses to carry a firearm, concealed or not, should have to complete a gun safety course and be certified before doing so. Not that any records should be kept...only granted a notarized card of completion to be carried with you when you carry. But unfortunately, I also believe in some exclusions....Anyone on any kind of mood altering drugs should not be allowed to carry until they have be off the drugs for a determined amount of time and are deemed safe by a doctor to carry. Once the doctor has given them the all clear they must then take or retake the safety course before carrying (again). Anyone with a violent criminal background should be excluded permanently from carrying for the safety of the public. Just my opinion.
    • 1161 posts
    June 1, 2015 9:16 AM PDT
    Here in Georgia we have the ability to open carry (With a concealed carry weapon permit) but I conceal mine. I would not want to be a target because my weapon is spotted. If I can use surprise to my advantage I'm going to. I think open carry in all 50 states needs to be legal. As for classes here in Georgia we are not required to take any, but I'm all for people learning skills that could save their life, my life or the life of a loved one. I don't think it should be required to get a (Card that says) permit to defend yourself with your gun or knife over 5" in length.

But that is just my opinion.