Speaking of random thoughts

• 1855 posts
    April 6, 2015 9:45 AM PDT
     What day was yesterday?

One would imagine the answer to be quite simple, eh?.  And while I do remember that yesterday was Easter Sunday, I'm starting to feel that my life is beginning to be one filled with simple questions I cannot answer.  It all started with not being able to remember lyrics; lyrics to songs I spend hours practicing and now lyrics to songs I've actually sung and played for years. I haven't gotten together with the "old group" in quite some time because of it.  "Bring along the sheet music", they have told me.  Detached retina surgery shoots that idea through the tubes even with corrective lenses.  

I will practice a song for hours; one song.  After so many hours the chords come pretty easy but the lyrics, once I put the music away, just aren't there.  Hell, quite often I can't even remember the first word.  It was always fun in our round robin group to play along with a guy who had learned a new song.  I can't even introduce a new tune anymore and that fact alone as started me on a path away from playing at all.  But though I feel I'm experiencing a possible projection of the future, I'm going to look for ways/techniques to improve or spark my memory.

I have this dream of one day showing up again at our round robin session and casually rip off a string of new songs, receive a hardy applause, and hear, "Damn good to have you back Doc"!!  There's a bit of vanity in that dream for sure but I miss those times when someone would say,  "I like that. Let's play that one again".

Peace
  • April 7, 2015 3:23 AM PDT
    Doc you are not alone with this memory issue of yours. Sometimes I ask my Girlfriend is it Saturday......No it's Wednesday. This kind of memory loss has me a bit concerned, of course being retired it really doesn't matter what day it is. Doc I think this is one of those age issues we just have to learn to live with. Now I know your brain is a muscle just like all the rest and must be worked out as well so keep at it and it will all work out.
    Now what was I going to do ???????????????
    Night Dragon
    • 16831 posts
    April 7, 2015 5:27 AM PDT
    I sometimes get lyrics I've written wrong and I just think it's age.
    But then again a young guy (30's) I know that is perpetually on tour with his band does the same thing.
    • 1 posts
    April 7, 2015 10:56 PM PDT
    I would like to say work out your brain. I do almost daily, it helps to TRY to keep it sharp, in tack, thinking, and remembering. Their are several ways to do it, I have luminosity and several others that if I get a second I will play a brain game. they are fun and do work as I have track my progress from when I started.

Next I use to play music a long time ago, gave it up for the adult thing: job, kid, etc. I have been missing it lately but I do remember that I would practice for hours to get the notes right… practice makes perfect is what all my conductors always said. So don't let it discourage you, try to make the best of it and remember you can still play just need a ;title extra help now.

By the way was thinking of taking the horns back up… music soothes the savage beast and I am not always sunshine… ; D
    • 9 posts
    April 10, 2015 12:39 AM PDT
    All I have to do is play with my DROID. The dang thing keeps me HOPPIN'.

Hoppin' mad, mostly...lol

Ride Free
    Tweek