San Francisco Ride Guide Help Please

• March 14, 2015 10:07 AM PDT
    Hello everyone
    My daughter,23, and i,54, will be staying a few days in San Francisco on our way home to New Zealand after attending the Isle of Man TT and catching up with family in the UK.
    We are keen on hiring a bike for a day ride around the area,but i am a bit concerned about navigation and this will be my first time riding on the right/wrong side of the road if you know what i mean.If i was on my own i would give it a go but with the daughter on pillion i would feel happier and safer following another bike.Her mother is also peaking out about this idea and i know she would have some peace of mind if she knew we had a guide to lead us.
    I like the ride idea put forward by one of the cyclefish team which was down the coast on hwy1 then back east on 84 to Alices Restaurant for lunch then back up to SF but am open to any suggestions if we find a guide/ride leader.
    So if you think you might want to take this on we will fill your bike up with gas,fill your belly with food and beverage and fill your head with tales of the TT and New Zealand.
    The dates we will be in SF are the 21st of june to the 24th of june so we would be keen on the ride either the 22nd or 23rd of june.
    Hope someone can help
    Cheers
    Gobbie1
    • 3006 posts
    March 16, 2015 8:02 AM PDT
    Check out this place,found it in my local motorcycle rag. Dubbelju Motorcycle located in SF 415-495-2774 they do rentals and tours also,along with motorcycle sales. There are other business's locally that probably do rentals also.
    They also have a website advertised.
    Looks to me like the best way to go would be to asses if you want to ride once you arrive,since June is typically a month when the heavy fogs roll in off the Pacific and can make coastal riding a very chilly experience.Besides if its your first visit to San Francisco,2 days time is barely enuff to scratch the surface of what the city has to offer. Just seeing all of Golden Gate Park would take that amount of time up easy.
    If you do end up renting some rides give me a holler if the tour sounds boring,tho I imagine they have way more experience than I do at being a tour guide.And at helping you get used to the different road riding here.
    Hope this helps!!!

Stay Safe & Enjoy The Ride!!!
  • March 16, 2015 10:23 AM PDT
    Thanks Blurple.......I have a guide now,a nice lady from Sanoma who has volunteered to lead me for the ride.She also put me in touch with Dubbelju so it's looking good.My daughter now tells me she doesn't really want to go on the ride........she wants to go shopping.........her loss my gain......was worried a couple of hours on the bike would be enough for her but now i'm free to ride all day......yehaa
    • 3006 posts
    March 18, 2015 4:58 AM PDT
    You are welcome,and sounds like you are in good hands.!!!
    I am not surprised that your daughter wants to go shopping over riding.LOL
    SF has a lot of really interesting places to see and shop of course.
    Pier 39 is a good place to check out.
    Try n get at least one ride in over the Golden Gate bridge,that is truly a unique experience.,with the new safety barrier up now,it is 100 times safer too.The Marin headlands have some excellent roads to ride also and a lot of nice beaches too.Very local to SF.

Stay Safe & Enjoy The Ride
  • March 21, 2015 8:05 PM PDT
    Make sure to ride thru Golden gate park when you go. Ride down to the beach and by all means stop and eat at the little deli/bakery shop. Best sandwiches in SF. The riding on hwy1 can be crowded with motor homes during the summer and you might want to pack a rain suit because of the heavy fog. The ride between Moro Bay and Monterey Bay is my favorite stretch of hwy1. Have fun !!
  • March 22, 2015 2:06 PM PDT
    thanks for the info Wheels........always like a good sandwich.