Follow up to testing

• 1855 posts
    January 15, 2015 6:14 AM PST
    The whole deal with the colonoscopy was to determine why I am suddenly anemic. Thankfully the colonoscopy, though real borderline, didn't show anything related to anemia. My wife started to cry today when the doctor reminded us of just how close I was to colon cancer. SO. GET IT DONE PEOPLE.

Today I had an endoscopy (upper) and it too was negative. Great news!!! But because anemia was ruled out and the doctor doesn't have a 22' tube to run pictures of the small intestine, there's another very cool way to do that. Back in the day I think it was called a barium swallow. But nowadays you simply swallow a small capsule that takes 2 pictures every second as it makes it's way through the digestive tract, typically over an 8 hour period.
    So that's what I'll be having in a couple of weeks. How non-intrusive is that, eh?

If that shows up negative I've been told that the anemia may be just a natural occurrence of getting older. Hell, I can live with that.

A capsule!!!!! Amazing!!!

Peace
    • 16840 posts
    January 15, 2015 6:23 AM PST
    Good deal my friend. :-)
  • January 15, 2015 11:05 AM PST
    How the hell cool is that.......take a pill and it will take pictures of your insides. This is what I want to know......if the medical community can do this .....then why do they need to stick a finger up your butt for a Prostrate exam. I hate it when the Dr. puts on the blue rubber gloves. Ever notice how they say right before the exam......"Your going to feel some discomfort"........That's the same thing I said to the first girl I ever had sex with.
    ND