New England road trip

• 57 posts
    January 9, 2015 3:48 AM PST
     We are in the early stages of planning a trip to Maine- New Hampshire- Mass. probably the week after Labor Day 2015,thinking about staying near the coast but that may change as we plan.any tips on weather or must see locations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 
    • 611 posts
    January 9, 2015 5:02 AM PST
    Well Mr Hunter, I hope the trip is a good ride and without idiots! It's been a long time since I was in that neck-o-the-woods but I do remember that Fall was very beautiful. Good ride to you and any that go with you!
    Edgeman
    • 1855 posts
    January 9, 2015 6:31 AM PST
    How much time you got?   When we left Ohio, which is the least fun part of any trip, we made our way to N.Y.'s lower express way (I-86 old Rte. 17) and headed east. Though we actually took a different route to see family, if you don't mind more interstate get off I-86 onto I-81 north at Binghamton. Take I-81 north to Watertown and get off at Rte 3 east (get fuel). It's a beautiful ride along Rte. 3 (once out of Watertown) to Saranac Lake. then Rte. 86 to Lake Placid. The then Rte 73 to 9N towards Elizabethtown. Stay on 9N (east) to Rte. 22 south along Lake Champlain to Rte. 185 which will take you to the ferry crossing into Vermont. In Vt. we picked up Rte. 125 to Middlebury onto Hancock and then we got lost (sort of) as 125 ended there.

So now there's no direct easterly route. We ride north on Rte 100 to I-89 south to Montpelier where we exit onto Rte 302 which we follow east into New Hampshire and Rte. 112 and the Kancamagus highway thru the White Mountains (must ride). Stayed on Rte. 112 to Conway. There we picked up Rte 113 into Maine. I'm reasonably sure it was 113 north but it could've been 113 east. Anyway Rte. 113 to Rte. 302 again. Following 302 (a great ride) into Portland (not so great but easy) to Highway 1 north up along the Maine Coast.

How long did it take? I just don't remember but it was an adventure because we didn't know where we were going or how to get there. Most of it was beautiful; even some of the Interstate along the way. After exploring along the Maine coast we headed down into Boston to visit a friend. We headed back home via mostly interstate; punishment for having such a great trip I suppose. LOL

Given the time of year you want to go and the potential for colder weather a more direct route might be a better choice. As to "things to see", "places to go" our ride just did it all for us. And BTW, our alternate route began in Watertown. We headed north on Rte. 12 and followed it to the St. Lawrence and into Alexandria Bay and then Ogdensburg or to Messina.
  • January 10, 2015 12:27 AM PST
    Mt. desert island In Maine holds some great touring spots as well as towns to see such as Bar harbor, Arcadia National Park and Cadillac mountain. And along the way be sure not to miss White Mountains National Forest, home of the Presidential Mountain range which has MT. Washington that is a must to do. A little further to the south  make sure to go to Gloucster for some of the freshest seafood you can find anywhere. Think "Causeway Restaurant
    • 57 posts
    January 10, 2015 11:30 AM PST
    Thanks for the great pictures and the suggestions,I never gave upper New York a thought but looks like that would work good,we are thinking 3 weeks but really have no time constraints,Im more concerned with daytime hi-lo temps especially at higher elevations we may plan to go before Labor Day instead,the wife really hates the interstate so finding other routes will be a must,the Trucks freak her out !! once we get out to the coast it will be better. Thanks Again
    • 19049 posts
    January 10, 2015 11:48 PM PST
    It has been a few years since I was up there but here is my advice...
    The Adirondacks are BEAUTIFUL to ride through.
    Don't carry in NY unless you are seriously licensed.
    A V O I D I90 and I95. Really plan to use the back roads.
    Interstates above the Mass border are usually ok (except I-95) which doesn't ease until above Portland, ME.
    Spend some time in NH too.
    Kancamagus Highway
    If your timing (weather wise) is right you should try to go to the top of Mt Washington.
    Not a ride for the Acrophobic.

• 1855 posts
    January 11, 2015 1:21 AM PST
    We missed the Mt. Washington ride as they closed the ascent half way up do to fog;; the only fog in the area. Also, if you're not from N.Y. there is no such thing as being "seriously licensed" to carry a firearm simply because you'll go through genuine hell to prove you are.

As for I-81 around Syracuse. Wow!!! Even though I lived in Syracuse for a few years I really don't know how to avoid the interstate to go around. There's often a good deal of traffic. Anyway, my route was just a suggestion. There certainly are other ways to do N.Y. It's really such a beautiful state. Most people just think of N.Y. in terms of Buffalo, N.Y. City, etc. but you'd be surprised at the beauty.
    • 846 posts
    January 12, 2015 8:05 AM PST
    I'm in Mass and I work in NH so throw in Maine and that's my neck of the woods. The weather end of Sept can be any were from the 60-80's. The only time the elevation will make a big difference would be if you ride up Mt Washington then it a 20 degree difference from the base. The only issue will be east to west routes in NH and Maine mostly back roads as there are no highways going east to west. Coming from the western part I would stay away from the Mass pike, Rt 2 is a nicer east to west run. Highways to avoid would be in Mass: Mass Pike, Rts 495, 95, 93, 3 and 1 around Boston. 1A north of Boston is ok. NH, Rt 93, 3 & 89, Maine: Maine turnpike 95 and 295. That should leave you a lot of back road riding. If you have a particular destination let me know and if I have a good road to ride in that area I'll let you know. All the above were good suggestions.
    • 57 posts
    January 14, 2015 3:18 AM PST
    Thanks for all the info on the highways and things to see, sounds like some good places to start.

Thanks to all