Death

• 611 posts
    October 5, 2014 12:00 PM PDT

Death

When I was nine, I watched a friend get hit by a car and die. It was a particularly gruesome death, witnessed from 10 feet away and my world changed forever. One moment before, death was seeing my Grandmother lying in her casket. The next moment Death was staring at me from my friend’s destroyed face, his mangled body lying on the hot asphalt with a pool of blood growing beneath him.

Recurring nightmares, I could hardly eat, traffic frightened me, I stopped riding my bike and my grades in school took a serious dive into negative land. I overheard my parents talking about me and they were concerned. In 1963 child counselors were few and far between but they found one that agreed to take me. He was a good man but when I look back, it seems he was struggling to reach a 9 year old with a fear of death and a too-young sense of mortality.

He prescribed some pills that blanketed my brain in a hazy/fuzzy fog. Not sure but I think they were zombie pills. I stopped taking them after three days. I would just flush them so my parents would think I was still taking them. I slowly emerged from the gray realm of shock and despair, only to discover that I was living in a tunnel. It was as if I was standing inside a culvert, 10 feet from the opening. So, I adjusted to it and went on with being a nine year old.

I lived inside that tunnel for decades, never knowing the impact it had on my life. I was kicked out of the Marines because they said, “You are not suited to military life.” I fought; I would steal the OD’s jeep at 2 in the morning and go joy-riding and just became a general screw-up that didn’t care what the punishment was. If it wasn’t Death, I wasn’t afraid of it. That’s when I started to ‘Court Death’.

I bought a motorcycle and rode it like a wild man, started going into biker bars and starting fights, harassing cops while on my bike and then outrunning them and I dabbled in hard drugs. Anything to bring the grinning skull of Death close to me and flip it the bird. I’ve been shot three different times, stabbed in the gut and beaten so badly I still ache from it sometimes. I hit a bridge abutment at 80 miles an hour, in a car full of friends; we were drunk as Lords and I was the only survivor because I was in the passenger seat with my seatbelt on.

I have been in several high speed motorcycle wrecks, numerous horrendous car crashes, terrible job-site accidents that some didn’t survive and I have stared down the barrel of several firearms… a few that I was holding. Every time I faced Death, it would stare at me from those empty black hollows and grin, and would whisper “Not yet.” So I upped the ante and started shooting heroin and meth. After five years, I had OD’d twice and never went to the hospital. I would just wake up with the needle dangling from my arm, faint laughter echoing in my mind.

At a Narcotics Anonymous meeting, I told my sponsor the ‘life-story’ and he thought for a moment, then wrote down a number on his business card. All he said was “If you want to get better, call this number… tomorrow.” It was the number of his psychologist and it was the start of my long journey out of the tunnel. PTSD, she said. Not an easy fix, she said. Well that was quite the understatement and no, I’m not ‘fixed’. I’m better than I was and that’s a good place to be.

I’m 60 now, the dreams of Death still come by like some unwanted visitor and I know the feeling of mortality much more intimately. Friends have died by their own hand, from bad choices and accidents. All of my birth family and adopted family have died; co-workers have been killed on the job and by other various methods.  

I still ride a motorcycle; I retreat into the tunnel occasionally when Life has overwhelmed me, my anger has receded to a manageable level, I kicked hard drugs in ’89 and I now find myself surrounded with reminders of Death. I have an animal skull collection, a (legal) human skull and numerous glass and ceramic skulls. I wear 5 different skull rings, many of my shirts have skulls and even my PJ pants have small skulls on them.

“What, you got a death wish or something, with all these skulls floating around?” a friend asked me once. I just smiled and thought about the question for a moment.

“No, my friend, I don’t. I neither seek out, nor fear Death. I have stared square into its eyes and laughed. I have felt its hand upon my shoulder and felt its breath on my neck. When I die, I will greet it as an old friend. Death is just another path, one we all must take.” I lifted my beer and said “To Life!” 

• October 5, 2014 12:54 PM PDT
    Very we'll said, enjoy life
    • 16840 posts
    October 5, 2014 4:54 PM PDT
    Only those of us that have faced death on many different levels can understand why "it" can sometimes consume us.
    • 3006 posts
    October 5, 2014 6:24 PM PDT
    It reminds me of an old saying, He Conquers Who Endures.

In this universe full of crushing truths and a infinite creation we often feel pretty insignificant on many levels, maybe all the stuff you went thru was your own fight against the insanity of it all.

Just keep on keeping on I say,eventually evolution will catch up with all of us and swallow us whole.That's the nature of it, no matter how we try to influence the out come,what will be will be.

I have a couple of skulls semi-hidden on my ride. I like them too & they remind me of a famous line I enjoy Alas poor Yoric...!!! .. I know in some countries they are considered lucky charms.

stay safe & enjoy the ride !!!
    • 1 posts
    October 7, 2014 10:39 AM PDT
    Well that was a big old dose of honesty… I have always said that death is one thing that we all will have to face, some times it is faced at young ages some times it does not touch us till we are old. Some people fear it some people court it, others laugh at it. Even though my trails with life and death have always been not quit by my choosing I am not going to lay down and except that this was it. (Cancer twice, just to name a few) It also makes me relise that life is too short to not take chances, not push the limits once and awhile, not challange it in some kind of face to face stare down. In doing this some times that is the only way I know I am truely alive and not just stuck in some humdrum loop of life but not living.
    • 9 posts
    October 14, 2014 4:09 PM PDT
     So...you had to go there.  And I get it.  Finally....now.

Talkin' about it, is the only RELIEF valve that has EVER worked for me.  But it took me, most of my adult LIFE to understand that.

Like Vietnam Vets, I kept my  "world"  life, secret.  I felt ashamed.  Not so much for what I did.  As what was done to ME.
    I didn't go thru the trauma you did, Edge.  But mine was no less traumatic.  
    The youngest child of four, I witnessed my parents disintegration at the tender age of five.  Adultery,  Hatred.  LIES.

My Mom, became a single parent, (not-by-choice), and we went from being a fairly "affluent" familly of six, to a household of three, in
    what, can only be described...as the housing projects of the time.  (In the late Sixties)

She also became a total and complete alcoholic.  
    My dad's betrayal was so devastating to her, it led to a LIFE-TIME of consequences, for the rest of us.

You see, my dad's "mistress", couldn't reconcile my father paying "child support".  So they devised a plan to make my Mother
    incompetent. And gain custody.  ALL, so they wouldn't have to pay the "outrageous sum" of $50 a month...for both, me...and my brother.

The other siblings married off, before the divorce, so it was just Mom, me, and my brother.
    They succeeded briefly enough that my Mom was incarcerated into a Mental Facility, where they gave her SHOCK TREATMENT.
    All, while my brother, and I watched,  as it all unfolded,  And could only pray, for a good outcome.  

Needless to say, my Mom, was NEVER the same.  Her alcoholism only increased, after that final blow, from my dad.
    He took custody of us, less than two years later.

Where, at the age of fifteen...I was raped, got pregnant, and was forced to abort an innocent child.
    Need I go on???

I guess my point is...
    that we have to be responsible, at some point for HOW we react.

I became an alcoholic/drug addict/permiscuous, out of control young woman!
    The biker bitch, from HELL.  None of you, would've wanted to know me....then.
    I have to believe, everything happened for a REASON.

I am now thankful, for everything GOD has seen me through.
    I shouldn't be here.  BUT, I AM.
    I should've died...many, many times.  But I didn't.

Because of what I've been through?  I teach others.  I relate.  I KNOW THEIR PAIN.
    And I have the unique ability to get thru to them, where many others have failed.
    Feel me?

TESTIMONY.  Livin', breathin', been there done that relateability.  It is the ABILITY to share,
    that makes us all HUMAN. 

NO man, OR woman, is an ISLAND.  
    We aren't meant to be ALONE.

And sharing works two-fold.  Like I said...we NEED to talk about stuff.
    WE NEED TO BE HEARD.  Listened to.  Shown someone G'SAF...Feel me?

That's why I love Ya'll, and that's why I'll always come home.
    Even if, it's brief, or fer and few.  It's still my home.

And I dunno, bout YOU?  But I ain't near ready to cash in, just yet.  

Thanks, CYCLEFISH!

Ride Free
    Tweek