A good read "You Din't See Me"

• January 18, 2010 3:30 AM PST
     MAMA

I saw you hug your purse closer to you in the grocery store line.
    But you didn't see me put an extra $100.00 in the collection plate last Sunday.

I saw you pull your child closer when we passed each other on the sidewalk.
    But you didn't see me playing Santa at the local mall.

I saw you change your mind about going into the restaurant.
    But you didn't see me attending a meeting to raise more money for the hurricane relief.

I saw you roll up your window and shake your head when I rode by.
    But you didn't see me riding behind you when you flicked your
    cigarette butt out the car window.

I saw you frown at me when I smiled at your children.
    But you didn't see me when I took time off from work to run toys to the homeless.

I saw you stare at my long hair.
    But you didn't see me and my friends cut ten inches off for Locks of Love.

I saw you roll your eyes at our leather jackets and gloves.
    But you didn't see me and my brothers donate our old ones to those that had none.

I saw you look in fright at my tattoos.
    But you didn't see me cry as my children were born and have their name written over and in my heart.

I saw you change lanes while rushing off to go somewhere.
    But you didn't see me going home to be with my family.

I saw you complain about how loud and noisy our bikes can be.
    But you didn't see me when you were changing the CD and drifted into my lane.

I saw you yelling at your kids in the car.
    But you didn't see me pat my child's hands knowing he was safe behind me.

I saw you reading the newspaper or map as you drove down the road.
    But you didn't see me squeeze my wife's leg when she told me to take the next turn.

I saw you race down the road in the rain.
    But you didn't see me get soaked to the skin so my son could have the car to go on his date.

I saw you run the yellow light just to save a few minutes of time.
    But you didn't see me trying to turn right.

I saw you cut me off because you needed to be in the lane I was in.
    But you didn't see me leave the road.

I saw you waiting impatiently for my friends to pass.
    But you didn't see me.  I wasn't there.

I saw you go home to your family.
    But you didn't see me.
    Because I died that day you cut me off.

I was just a biker.  A person with friends and a family.

But you didn't see me.
    • 601 posts
    January 18, 2010 4:24 AM PST
    There was a road safety campaign on T.V here and one of the adds was based on that piece. Motorcyclists make up 2% of Irish road users and are 21% of the road deaths, crippling injuries are even worse.
  • January 18, 2010 6:14 AM PST
    awesome post BB
  • January 18, 2010 2:55 PM PST
    Just came back this weekend from a ABATE ( American Bikers Active Towards Education) State meeting, one of the bills that were addressed was the (distracted driver bill), it is going before the house. Not sure how many of you are familiar with Abate, but you should be if your gonna ride a motorcycle. We are not a club but a organization, that fights for motorcyle rights...to ensure that the bikers voice is heard. We promote education and safety, and are active in the community. Abate has a website, I'd encourage everyone to look it up and take an active part, they are a great group of people, the more voices heard, the more petitions sighned, the more we stand together and unify in our beliefs, causes and rights, the more chance we have of making positive changes.
    • 2072 posts
    January 19, 2010 12:11 AM PST
    Couldn't have said it better. ABATE is a great organization that's looking out for OUR rights !!!!!
    • 1780 posts
    January 19, 2010 2:28 AM PST
    Hell yea....
    Dragon
  • January 19, 2010 3:14 AM PST
    The problem is that when 4-wheelers close that car door they are in their own little world and nothing outside of that world matters to them.
    • 75 posts
    January 19, 2010 4:03 AM PST
    Amen to all the above. I ride. I wear leather. I'm tattooed. I have a long beard. I've had people cross the street to avoid walking past me. I am a Christian, husband, father, brother, son, and biker. Thanks for the great post!
  • May 19, 2013 8:33 AM PDT
    Great read Bikerbro and thanx for posting it.
    • 611 posts
    May 19, 2013 8:46 AM PDT
    Yep, this one has been around for a while. So has ABATE. I remember when the letters meant "Angry Bikers Against Totalitarian Enactments" and they addressed issues that would have had all bikes painted day-glo colors, riders wearing Hi-Viz clothing and wearing seat belts in addition to full-face helmets. Thanks to all the current and former members that stood and demanded their (our) rights!
    Thanx for the post BB...
    Edgeman
    • 11 posts
    May 21, 2013 12:17 AM PDT
    Thanks, I have saved this.