Dallas (Texas) Law clarifications

• April 28, 2014 6:38 AM PDT
    Hey guys...I just moved to Dallas TX and wanted to know a few things so that I am not flagged in the name of law...

1. Helmet Law - "riders are not required to wear a helmet with proof of successful completion of rider training or $10,000 of medical insurance covering injuries resulting from a motorcycle accident"

So will this stand for me since I hold a Virginia License? I have completed my rider training from Virginia...will that count in here?
    I don't go without helmet anywhere but wanted to clarify just n case of any emergency.
    Also, what about helmet law for the pillion rider? Any idea on that?

2. Neon LED's - I have LED's on my bike. From what I researched a bit on this, I got the info that No BLUE and RED color lights are allowed while riding. Simliarly, no blinking lights are allowed. I can however ride with solid lights other than Red and Blue. Please let me know if this is correct or I am wrong on that one and can't ride with any LED's on.

Sometimes there are clauses where the rules of the State issuing the license are applied over the State where you are actually riding. I am nto sure if that is true in case of Virginia License holders. If anyone has any knowledge and can share here, it would be awesome.

Thanks in advance,
    Aj
  • April 28, 2014 2:31 PM PDT
    With all the exceptions or frequent changes in the law,I can't keep up either and I've always lived here!!!!! Don't know when you'll be going to the DPS office for change of license for Texas, until then play it safe as possible.They will happily answer your questions if you don't run across a state trooper first!
  • April 29, 2014 1:42 AM PDT
    Thanks! I try to be out of the radar of cops ...but you never know
    Just to add...the WHITE light is also not allowed.

Please see "Sec. 547.305. RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF LIGHTS."
    http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/docs/tn/htm/tn.547.htm />
    • 844 posts
    May 1, 2014 1:51 PM PDT
    Lived here all my life and couldn't tell you. But then again all I have is headlight, tail light, brake light and blinkers :-)