Washington Landslide

• 611 posts
    March 30, 2014 6:23 AM PDT
      It continues to rain and that is hampering the landslide victim recovery efforts. We have had almost 20" of rain this month. A week ago Saturday, a wall of mud, trees and rocks slammed into the small community of Oso, 10 miles or so from where I live. The affected area is one square mile or look at it this way: 485 football fields would fit in the wrecked area. Rescue efforts have turned to Recovery efforts, 18 reported dead (I knew 4) but 20-25 bodies have been found. 90, then 70, now 30 are still missing, those are the reported numbers. Our community has been impacted on all levels, we know several of the folks involved in the recovery and the outpouring of help and caring in our small community is just what you would expect. Outstanding!

Personally, our lives go on much as they have but the 25 mile trip to the freeway has changed to almost 80 miles because the road out is now buried under 30-40 feet of mud, trees and rock. We carpooled with friends last week to pick up our meds and a few grocerys, so we have been fortunate and blessed that our life has been hardly inpacted while the largest landslide in WA history took place 10 miles from our house. I was going to take a ride that morning.  

A tip-of-the-hat to the 150 volunteers and over 150 trained professionals that are dedicating their lives right now to the recovery of our friends and neighbors. We will come through this... together. If you wish to donate to the disaster recovery, please only use a known, real organization because there are always bottom-feeders that will take advantage of other folks misery.

Thanks For your prayers and good thoughts to all affected by this tragedy.

Edge 'SadMan' Walker

• 57 posts
    March 30, 2014 9:28 AM PDT
    Our thoughts and prayers go out to all of the families affected by such a horrible tragic event,I can't tell you how many times my wife and I have have driven through the small town of Oso on our way to visit friends in Darrington,such a quite and beautiful drive.Glad too hear you are safe,and hoping the number of missing continues to get smaller.

Take Care Ride on
    • 1855 posts
    March 30, 2014 2:21 PM PDT
    I simply can't imagine the pain and suffering and misery. Nothing I can say seems relevant but our prayers are with all of the families.

Peace
    • 1364 posts
    March 31, 2014 12:09 AM PDT
    Very sad to say the least. The people of Washington state have grouped together in support like no other. The stories of the people lost are heartbreaking to say the least. Our lives are short and so fragile. prayers to all of the family and friend effected.
  • March 31, 2014 1:19 AM PDT
    Prayers go out to all the families that have friends or family unaccounted for, and the emergency crews working un told hours to recover the remaining lost. Like someone said life compared to time only last a second. Tell the ones that mean the most to you how much you Love them, for later may never come.
    Night Dragon
    • 3006 posts
    March 31, 2014 4:28 AM PDT
    Thank you for sharing this.My prayers go out to all affected by this terrible tragedgy.
    The photos put it in a better perspective, can clearly see the magnitude of the slide area.

For whatever reason you never took that ride,for me thats the mystery of life,coincidence or fate?
    When we had the big quake in 89, the cypress freeway structure collapsed killing many people,if I had followed my normal schedule that day,I would have been one of those.Yet due to the world series being on I had cancelled my appts that evening and was sitting in my easy chair at home.

The lesson I take away from this,life is short,let those you care about know it every day,make each moment count,and enjoy the ride!!!
    • 2 posts
    April 5, 2014 11:09 AM PDT
     Department of small miracles 

Boomer the dog, who was found in the Oso landslide debris field where his original owner was missing, is back home with his family.

Vets at Arlington Veterinary Hospital said 15-year-old Boomer likely would not have survived the cold weather and rough terrain much longer.

The Golden Retriever was missing for several days and was found Wednesday with injuries to his legs and hip.

www.king5.com/home/Boomer-the-dog-found-in-slide-debris-field-back-with-his-family-254040891.html