Looking for "Family" in Virginia

• January 12, 2014 8:44 AM PST
    My name is Joe -- I'm originally from the Pittsburgh area and hailing now from the Richmond area. I've been riding for the better part of the past 35 years and came up in an era where terms like "friend" and "brother" and "family" weren't thrown around like they were just words without meaning.
    After moving to Virginia in 1993, I found more and more that those people that I thought were friends were no more than posers looking for whatever was in it for them and showed their true colors when the tides had turned.

So now, at 53 years old ( today ), I have decided that I will look for those who understand what being a Brother ( or Sister ) is .... When you find this post and finish reading it, you will definitely know because the words will not sound "ridiculous" or "exagerrated" to you. When YOU get to that point, send me a friend request -- First, a question for you then, as you consider your answer, read the article I have attached: "A friend calls you at 2:00 a.m. Monday morning and says he is broke down on the highway across town from your house -- What do YOU do ?" ( the question is rhetorical -- not asking for your answer ).

This is the article I mentioned. Written by Irida Sangemino living in Chandler, AZ ( according to the article ) -- Hoping for a lot of friend requests ......
    THANK YOU IRIDA FOR PUTTING THE "CODE" INTO WORDS -- I HOPE THAT YOU WILL FIND THIS POST AND ADD ME TO YOUR LIST

Humans live in a structured society. That means that almost anything we do follows strict patterns, policies and regulations. This can be at our employment, in traffic, or even as a family. We need those systems to protect our rights and freedom, and to prevent chaos and destruction. Motorcycles owners are no exception and they too have to live by specific guidelines. Some of these laws have been legally proclaimed, while others are traditionally passed on from biker to biker and cannot be tracked on paper.

Government regulated rules, such as traffic and safety, can be located in pamphlets, brochures, books, and on the Internet, yet verifying information on unwritten biker laws is a different story. Motorcyclists just tend to know them, and if they don't, they soon will find out which secret brotherhood code they broke.

Riding is a way of life and as a biker you have to respect the rules at all times, even if you feel like showing off. Never come up behind another rider in the same lane at high speed and remember the first one stopped at a red light should also be the first one to leave when it turns green. This also means that show-off racing in traffic is also out of the question.

Bikers value solidarity and a brother (or sister) in distress receives help, regardless if it is a technical question posted on the Internet, or an unknown biker stranded at the side of the road. Notwithstanding motorcycle brand or type, a true biker will stop and provide roadside assistance to any stranded comrade, even a want to-be on a cheap Harley Davidson imitation. If help cannot be provided, a phone call can make a world of difference.

Motorcyclists are interested in other bikers and their prize possession. They can talk endlessly about their rides, safety rules, general laws, liabilities, bike maintenance, accessories and whatever else is associated with their motorcycles. Despite their openness during conversations and debates, as a rule, bikers do not like their motorcycles being touched by others. In this case, the rule:"Look, but don't touch" really does apply, and if good-natured warnings are not obeyed, someone may end up having a really bad day.

Largely symbolic in nature, the lingering image of the biker as lone wolf hitting the highway still lives on in the mind of many brotherhood members. Mature bikers will therefore respectfully acknowledge another motorcyclist's presence on the road by using a distinctive hand wave. Of course, do not be surprised if, at times, there is no tribute or response, as the biker in the oncoming lane may not be able to free a hand without endangering himself, or he/she may be snobbish and feel you are driving an inferior bike. That is human nature and there is nothing you can do about.

Generally, bikers will respect one another as long as common sense is used. Don't crowd each other on the road, or parking lot and most of all do not saddle someone else's bike or fender fluff. Stick to these rules and you will be having the time of your life!

• 1 posts
    January 12, 2014 10:26 AM PST
    Good Philosophy to live by

Thanks for posting Friend