Indiana Scenic Roads to ride?

• 63 posts
    July 25, 2013 4:12 PM PDT
    My son and I are planning to ride into Remington, Indiana in the early part of September and we're hoping to find some good roads to ride there, or near there.
    Remington was picked as the place to meet by throwing a dart.  That's because my son is in the Air Force and stationed in Wyoming and I live in New York.  We picked a spot that would be a day ride for each of us and we can meet up and spend some time together.

Does anyone have any suggestions about that area?  I'd sure appreciate it.
    • 1855 posts
    July 25, 2013 11:49 PM PDT
    I haven't looked up the exact location of Remington, Indiana but I have to say(IMHO) riding in Indiana generally sucks north of Indianapolis & I-70. North/South routes 1 and 3, which are east of Indianapolis are fairly decent. East/West route 50, also south of Indianapolis is a nice ride. The roads in and around Brown county Indiana near Nashville, Indiana are real nice. Roads north of I-70 are typical of Midwest farm country roads, straight as an arrow, flat as a pancake, and only picturesque if you're into miles of farm land.

Living in west central Ohio as I do, our traveling through Indiana happens only when we are heading west. And since we avoid interstate highways I'm fairly familiar with Indiana's roads. We do, however, ride south on Highway 1 to a place called "Farmland", Indiana to enjoy a chocolate ice cream soda once in awhile. Ask for one in Ohio and you get some pretty odd (questioning) looks.

I hope your dart landed in southern Indiana as it is the best area to ride. I hope if anyone is from Indiana they don't take offense. Hell, Ohio isn't much better as far as I'm concerned. But here's the thing; when you're 'in the wind' it doesn't much matter where you are, right?

Peace
    • 63 posts
    July 26, 2013 10:28 AM PDT
    That's true enough, Jimmyacorn. The main reason to go there was to get some face time in with my son. That's good info though,,,,, Remington looks like it's about 90 miles North of Indy so,,,, we'll have some ridin to do to get where you suggested. Thanks for the reply.
  • August 13, 2013 12:50 PM PDT
    Just got back from Indiana and I was really impressed with southern Indiana!! Only got as far north as lake Monroe though. Hoosier National Forest was fantastic...

Trippin
  • May 1, 2016 12:51 PM PDT
    Having just came through Terre Haute on I-70 east to Indianapolis, then north on Highway 31 driving a flatbed, hauling my two bikes and a 12' bike ramp, pulling a 34' travel trailer, I can honestly say that Indiana has the worst rodes I have ever drove. The road conditions did improve about 10 miles north of Indianapolis, but only slightly, until I hit highway 30 headed east. If you plan to pull a trailer of any kind through that part of the state, I would suggest taking some alternate routes. This is just my opinion. Advance at your own risk.
    • 57 posts
    May 2, 2016 12:56 AM PDT
    Lynxx wrote...
    Having just came through Terre Haute on I-70 east to Indianapolis, then north on Highway 31 driving a flatbed, hauling my two bikes and a 12' bike ramp, pulling a 34' travel trailer, I can honestly say that Indiana has the worst rodes I have ever drove. The road conditions did improve about 10 miles north of Indianapolis, but only slightly, until I hit highway 30 headed east. If you plan to pull a trailer of any kind through that part of the state, I would suggest taking some alternate routes. This is just my opinion. Advance at your own risk.

Northern Indiana and Illinois are known to have only two seasons Lynxx,Winter and road construction so get ready to see a lot of Orange cones popping up everywhere you ride. Ride Safe       

• May 2, 2016 5:31 AM PDT
    LOL That's funny right there, since it seems to be the case.