CYA - Protective Riding Pants

• July 3, 2013 7:59 AM PDT
    I have leather chaps that help against interstate rocks and hard shell bugs to the shin, but I've been thinking that if I go down, I'll probably wind up sliding on my butt - and chaps don't cover that!!

Until I can get some Bohn armor pants (well, the bohn will probably go under the --> ), I'm getting some Firehose Jeans or work pants from Duluth Trading company.  I've got one pair that is too short, so going to get rid of them soon and a Firehose Cooldry work pants should be here today.

Does anyone have something else they wear for road rash protection?  Draggin Jeans, Sliders, etc.

I'd like to see a real-world test comparison between the Firehose stuff and the Kevlar jeans.

I'd like to CMA without breaking the bank....
  • July 5, 2013 6:55 AM PDT
    Found a review of FireHose pants at WebBikeWorld...
    • 3006 posts
    July 5, 2013 5:09 PM PDT
    I gave up wearing chaps years ago.I wear a pair of heavy cargo pants over my regular jeans.When the weather turns cold I wear a pair of heavy snowboard pants over my jeans.I know call me crazy LOL yet it works n the snowboard pants are made from that thick mesh material,so I figure its as protective as most any motorcycle specific gear.
  • July 8, 2013 11:29 PM PDT
    Are Kevlar pants or Fire hose pants comfortable? are they hot? etc.
    • 544 posts
    July 9, 2013 1:49 AM PDT
    I wear some leather according to the weather. I figure that riding is a risk that I am willing to take and protective clothing only goes so far. I mean we could wear a suit of armour but how fun is that? I believe that a DOT helmet is only good for up to a 17 mph impact so even that would not do you much help if someone tags you doing 70 on the interstate. Riding pants are fine but there seems to be no end to the expense of it if you get carried away.
  • July 9, 2013 5:22 AM PDT
    The firehose pants are comfortable. I have a black pair that are hot... they're black. I just got a beige pair of CoolDry Firehose work pants and those are very nice, comfy, lightweight. Going on a 4-day ride so I'll know more about them after that...