To Yellowstone and back

• 1855 posts
    June 24, 2013 7:40 AM PDT
    15 days on the road and close to 5K miles has humbled this old fart.  Not that I haven't done that kind or mileage before but I certainly can't do it like I use to do it.  Anyway, I'll have some pics to show ya'll in a few days. We got back on Sunday and I think I might still be recuperating.  I mean, we haven't even unloaded the bike yet.

The trip was great.  On the way out we took Rte 124 out of Ohio/Indiana which became Rte 24 in Illinois.   Did about 45 miles of I-74 north to Rte 34  at Galisburg, IL where we spent the first nite. Logged 360 miles that first day.  On Rte 34 we rode across Iowa; rain, wind, and cold towards the end of the day but Rte 34 beats the interstate fer sure.  We logged 247 miles that second day and stayed somewhere off the beaten path in Iowa. Rte 34 is a great ride across Iowa if you're not in a hurry, which we were not.  

Third day we rode right thru downtown Lincoln, Nebraska on Rte 34 and picked up Rte 6 just out of town.  Rte 6?  There's nothing on Rte 6.  Miles and miles of straight nothingness.  Kitty's Road House was a nice place to stop in Hastings; owned by a biker who rides. BTW, low octane fuel across Nebraska; absolutely lucky if you find anything higher than 90 octane which was itself scarce.

Mile by mile?  Not hardly folks; probably bore ya to tears.  But our "get there" trip was mostly back roads; county and state.  Rte 287 North out of Laramie for example, the Wind River Valley; aptly named I might add.  In fact, most of our "get there" trip was wind and the main reason we averaged less than 300 miles a day.  It pretty much beat me up!!!  I'm talking "wind" people.  Hot, windy, and dry.  Yep!!!  That's Wyoming. Still, it was freaking beautiful beyond explanation. 

One more bit of info before I slide outta here to upload pics (no videos).  When I asked a cowboy about marketing all the million acres of sage he told me the wildlife doesn't even eat it and it only keeps the soil from blowing away.  The day they find a value for it they'll be turning Wyoming into another Badlands a thousand years before its time. 
    Later people

Peace
    • 1 posts
    June 24, 2013 9:51 AM PDT
    Of all the places I have been Yellowstone is one of the few places I would return to. Not that the other places I have been are bad they are not as beautiful and spectacular as Yellowstone. Git them pics up.
    • 1855 posts
    June 24, 2013 12:21 PM PDT
    Got some pics up. Just a few.

Peace
    • 1 posts
    June 24, 2013 1:55 PM PDT
    Love Yellowstone... been there twice on a bike once rv when the kid was young... It is an amazing place. Glad you had fun, can't wait for the pictures.
    • 1855 posts
    June 25, 2013 1:54 AM PDT
    Bitchy wrote...
    Love Yellowstone... been there twice on a bike once rv when the kid was young... It is an amazing place. Glad you had fun, can't wait for the pictures.

Look in my photo album here at CF
    • 2685 posts
    June 25, 2013 6:15 AM PDT
    That's a lot of miles.
    Nice pix, I'd love to head out there.
    • 1855 posts
    • 1 posts
    July 11, 2013 1:23 AM PDT
    Cool Pictures love the one of the rain coming in... I use to chase stroms so I am kind of wacked that way... ; D Looks like you had fun.
    • 3006 posts
    July 11, 2013 5:26 AM PDT
    Sounds like a really great ride.Thanks for sharing this,hope to someday make it out that way myself,n see it from the saddle.
    • 314 posts
    July 11, 2013 8:44 PM PDT
    Sounds like a good trip, great pictures
    • 19034 posts
    July 12, 2013 10:07 PM PDT
    Nice Album Jimmy! Great trip I can see!!!
    • 1855 posts
    July 13, 2013 12:44 AM PDT
    Pictures doesn't do justice. We took so many wonderful pictures and there's no room for them all. The ride across the Big Horn Scenic Highway (RTE 14) was truly amazing. The panoramic view, looking over our shoulders, of where we'd been was unbelievable. Many of our pics were like postcard shots. I was impressed with Gypsy's photog abilities.
  • July 13, 2013 7:38 AM PDT
    Enjoyed the photos Jimmy, thanks for sharing.
  • July 14, 2013 2:51 PM PDT
    Had the chance last year to see a small part of what you got to see on your trip.....

There are no words, its just plain beautiful

• 44 posts
    July 14, 2013 2:53 PM PDT
    I have always wanted to go to yellowstone I will one day Great Pics