bike shimmies when going over seams on roads/highways

• June 16, 2013 12:21 AM PDT
    harley says triple tree bolt may be loose and needs tightened as its never been serviced ny HD... is this hard to do? 2010 heritage
  • June 17, 2013 12:39 AM PDT
    Not hard. The best thing you can do is buy yourself a factory service manual. Even if you don't do a lot of the work, you will know what to expect.It's probably the best 65 bucks you'll ever spend on your bike.
    • 19007 posts
    June 17, 2013 1:26 AM PDT
    southernman67 wrote...
    Not hard. The best thing you can do is buy yourself a factory service manual. Even if you don't do a lot of the work, you will know what to expect.It's probably the best 65 bucks you'll ever spend on your bike.

• 3006 posts
    June 17, 2013 5:00 AM PDT
    with some research you may be able to find someone online who can provide that service manual as a download?
    also youtube your mcycle / repair,you may find some relevant info there also on doing it yourself or assesing the problem better.
    • 846 posts
    June 17, 2013 7:23 AM PDT
    Here's a link from another thread I used it to download a PDF copy of the shop manual for my bike. http://www.download-repair-manual.com/harley-davidson-motorcycle-repair-manuals.html

Just make sure you look at the torque values and have a torque wrench on hand so you get the correct settings called out in the manual for.

Good luck
  • June 27, 2013 11:23 PM PDT
    Also...if your using the stock Dunlop tires, check the ft tire ie: pull it and check balance and if out of round! Had similar problem with mine! Tire showed itself to be balanced, however when the machine was slowing down you could tell that the tire was screwed up!! Several issues with the Dunlops!
  • June 27, 2013 11:55 PM PDT
    it's simple if you don't know what going on with your bike be safe and take it to someone who does . your life isn't worth taking chances with . once it wrecks you it's to late to say I should have taken it to the shop . you way the difference is the cost of a tech worth more than your LIFE !
    • 19007 posts
    June 28, 2013 1:20 AM PDT
    Ricochet wrote...
    it's simple if you don't know what going on with your bike be safe and take it to someone who does . your life isn't worth taking chances with . once it wrecks you it's to late to say I should have taken it to the shop . you way the difference is the cost of a tech worth more than your LIFE !

Agreeing with Ricochet, some things are best left to professionals. Assuming you have "Good" professionals.

• June 29, 2013 12:02 AM PDT
    I agree! Your life is not worth the price of a service call. Yes, a manual is a dang good thing to have on hand and can save you a lot of money, and a lot of "I'm not sure." But if there is ever a doubt, ever, mine goes to the shop without fail! But as Rex says, make sure you have good professionals.
  • June 29, 2013 1:26 AM PDT
    Had the same problem, turned out to be bad front wheel bearings.
    • 1855 posts
    June 29, 2013 1:41 AM PDT
    Does anyone ever respond to how their problems turn out? I'm curious to know a bit more. How many miles on the tire, etc. At what speed did it shimmy? Sure it just isn't a cupped front tire? Did the problem get fixed?
    • 611 posts
    June 29, 2013 4:55 PM PDT
    Define 'shimmy'. My bike gives a quick shake but quits once I have crossed the seam (ie bridge entry/exit, freeway joints, railroad tracks). Triple tree bolts would be the LAST place I would start. As has been said here; tire being 'true' and balanced, wheel bearings, fork fluid level and THEN triple tree bolts.
    Let us know how it turns out...
    Edge 'Shimmy' Walker
  • June 29, 2013 9:33 PM PDT
    @ Jimmyacorn....ft tire had less than 7k miles on it. Shop (dealership) replaced the tire with no cost to me. I know people love the stock Dunlops....but IMHO, they suck! And should be replaced. And as for experience, I started riding Harleys in 1979. I'm sure others have ridden longer and have different opinions so there ya go.

Do agree with Ricochet.... Have someone qualified inspect your bike!
    • 1855 posts
    June 30, 2013 2:39 AM PDT
    Trippin wrote...
    @ Jimmyacorn....ft tire had less than 7k miles on it. Shop (dealership) replaced the tire with no cost to me. I know people love the stock Dunlops....but IMHO, they suck! And should be replaced. And as for experience, I started riding Harleys in 1979. I'm sure others have ridden longer and have different opinions so there ya go.

Do agree with Ricochet.... Have someone qualified inspect your bike!

I agree with you about the Dunlop...they suck!!!  But trying to get a dealer to put on something else when the bike is still under warranty is a big issue around these parts.  And I think you're pretty lucky to have  found a shop to replace that tire at no cost to you.  I just got a new rear tire while on our trip out west.  It had 10,500 miles on it and the dude said I was extremely lucky to get that.  While my front tire still looks o.k., it could be shot in another 3 or less.   But here's the thing too; back in the day, as pups, we use to really push the limit on our tires.  Don't quite no why that was.  Maybe it was due to cash flow or just idiocy.  Now the older we get and the more travelling ops we have I tend to pay a bit more attention to things.  It's no longer, "ride her 'till she makes ya stop".  In reality, I never got much more than 10K on a rear tire.  Front ones lasted a bit longer but not much. 

Peace

• June 30, 2013 4:31 AM PDT
    Damn!!!!! I'm sorry for not replying to all my brothers out there who took their time to show they care about the cause. The shimmy!!! It's true a service manual is needed no doubt! and will get one soon... 
    But, where's what I did... first of all I'm about half computer literate, so that's why it's taken soooooo long to reply. I didn't even know anyone replied until today! DA....
    I called around about the triple tree adjustment and received a diff answer on each call... Three Harley dealers, Smoky Mountain HD in Maryville TN, where I bought the bike. Walter Brother HD in Peoria Illinois, where I temp live now. Those boys don't have a clue!, and two other dealers in central Illinois. 
    I called a place called Integ in Illinois. They asked how many miles on the front tire??? I said 23,400...... DAMNNNNN... said that's prob the problem. 
    $302.00 later, and lubed the front, I was down the road. Put on a dunlap HD tire... and tube..
    well it appeared to have corrected most of it, but I looked at the rear tire Friday night and it looked low. I, like some others, don't keep my mind focused on the simple things.... like tire pressure!!!  So I got out the ole pressure gauge.. You know the one.... Chrome about 6 inches long. Hit the valve stem....NOTHING....HMMM... Checked again....Nothing... checked the front tire 30 some pounds... ok the gauge works..... 
    put a bunch of air to it, about 42 lbs.....
    Rode home about 10 miles in the dark and ran into a hail storm of may flies. Couldn't get the bike over 50mph as the flies were kick'n my ????
    Rain all day Saturday, and just detailed it, so didn't get to ride. 
    But stupid me... I know better... always check the tires first!! DA. The rear tire is the third tire, less than a year old, so I assumed.... it was good to go, then also I assumed that when the new front was put on......they'd check the AP in the rear... NEVER ASSUME...
    I"ll take her out today.... and I can remember how to get back to the site.. I'll let ya'll know...
    Many Thanks... Ride safe....Thank a Vet....Hug your dog... 
    • 611 posts
    June 30, 2013 7:50 AM PDT
    HAHAHAHhahahaaaaa... Oh man, ain't it the truth.
    Love the easy fixes. Have to wonder about $300 bucks but... wth.
    Glad you're up and running again!
    BTW... this should have been posted under "The Garage"... It's down the page a ways.
    Edgeman
  • June 30, 2013 4:14 PM PDT
    Sometimes when the tires are worn they will do that.
    • 3006 posts
    July 14, 2013 4:58 AM PDT
    Lmao Timco,
    good post,which reminds us all of, "never "ass"umesheit abt crap !!!