Hot weather gear

• June 11, 2013 3:55 AM PDT
    I would like to hear from anyone that is from La.,Tx.,Ok.,Ark., or Miss. I know in the summer months the heat is a factor when wanting to ride. I have looked into some of the hot weather gear that is out on the market such as the cooling vest. If any of you from the states I mentioned have a cooling vest would you please let me know if they really work and would you recommed the cooling vest.

Thanks,

jdoug
  • June 11, 2013 10:14 AM PDT
    We do alot of our riding in the heat of the So. Cal desert. The cooling vest worn in conjunction with a long sleeved white shirt over the vest really helps. We also wear the neck cooling bandana's that help too. I got our vest from cyclegear.com for about 50 bucks.
  • June 11, 2013 11:48 AM PDT
    I appreciate the response. It really gets hot and humid here in La. and I would like to ride but need something that would help cool me. I will more than likely purchase a cooling vest.

Thanks again,

jdoug
  • June 11, 2013 4:10 PM PDT
    I'm in South Arkansas! I wear a Joe Rocket mesh vest with pads and the wind flows freely through it. I like it better than wearing short sleeves because I don't feel the heat of the burning sun, but get free air flow. I'm not sure how these would work on touring mounts that cut most of the air off. I like the idea of cooling vests!
    • 1161 posts
    June 11, 2013 4:13 PM PDT
    Good info may have to look into them since I'm here in Southern Georgia.
  • June 13, 2013 8:03 AM PDT
    I wear a Power Trip max-flow mesh armored jacket in Mississippi. So far, with the liner out, it is pretty cool. Keeps the sun off and air flows pretty easy... at 60 mph. Sitting still, its hot. I'm still wearing chaps when I commute, mostly to protect my work pants. I'm thinking the chaps are not going to be worn for pleasure rides too much longer. I'll probably go to wearing Duluth Trading Company's Fire Hose jeans for riding.

EDIT : I've orderd Firehose CoolDry Work Pants and will put a review of them here after next weekend.  4 day road trip.
    • 1 posts
    June 13, 2013 12:53 PM PDT
    Have used the vest for crossing the dessert in the end of July. Cal to KS... coolest day was 113. Worked okay to help keep core temp. down. It is only good for so many uses before no more reaction. It was a chemical reaction that helps keep you cool. a gel quit that cools when damp. Be carefull not to over wet, can get a nasty rash, yes I did that... Swamp ass and chemical rash was not fun. But yep would buy another if I was doing some thing like that again.