Starter help please!

• May 18, 2013 8:28 PM PDT
    Hi all.

Just picked up an 07 FLHTC two weeks ago. Tarted & ran fine for two weeks.
    Yesterday I hot the starter, click!
    Checked the batterey, checked all connections Batterey, starter and main ground. They are all clean and tight. Still nothing but a click, or if I hold the starter button down a rapid clicking. Could it be a bad starter relay? Any other ideas , help, ANYTHING would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Dave.
    • 48 posts
    May 18, 2013 10:59 PM PDT
    easy enough to find out. pull the relay and jump the female terminals 30/87...MAKE SURE ITS IN NEUTRAL OR CLUTCH IS PULLED !!!!!!. if you have power at 30, this would send power to the starter. if the starter turns, you're good from the relay to the starter. if it doesn't then either the starter has failed or you have a wiring issue. Need to "load" the circuit at the starter terminal and hit the button. load it with a brake light bulb, power side to starter, ground to ground of course. current flow is the test here. a starter needs a bunch. voltage is not the big deal. if you're not comfortable with electrical circuits...by all means I mean no offense...take it to a shop that is. if there's no current at 30, start backing up to the switch. Make SURE YOUR BATTERY IS GOOD ! Again, starter load is big. Hope this helps......
  • May 19, 2013 12:20 AM PDT
    Thanks Stoney. At this stage, I take no offense at all. Not like I'm I'm 18 and think I'm bulletproof .
    The Click I keep hearing is a metalic click and seems to be coming from down by the starter.
    And no, I am not real familiar with eleictrical circuits, but I'll try to load the starter this morning and see what I get.
    I'm waiting for my local shop to open this morning, first thing I buy is a service manual!
  • May 19, 2013 1:26 AM PDT
    Sounds like bad connection somewhere or faulty solenoid to me.
    • 48 posts
    May 19, 2013 1:36 AM PDT
    alsflhr wrote...
    Sounds like bad connection somewhere or faulty solenoid to me.

Agreed alsflhr ! Connections are killers. Solenoids are quitters. Shop manual is a good idea !

• 48 posts
    May 19, 2013 1:38 AM PDT
    Shortie, let me know if there's anything I can help you with. Electrical/electronic stuff is like anything else....if you know it, its easy. If not, well it sucks. Good luck !
  • May 19, 2013 3:25 AM PDT
    IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!! Took The battery to the local auto parts store & checked it under load. Replacement recomended.
    Put the new batterey in....Click, click, click...@$!%@!!!!!&!!!

Followed Stoney's (BIG SHOUT OF THANKS HERE Stoney) advice to the letter, Bad Starter relay. Replaced it and the beast is ALIVE!

Guys, thanks so much for the support, and offers, and advice to a newbie. I won't forget.

Oh, and thanks for overlooking my bad spelling at 3:30 this morning. Now the wife and I can go on our Memorial weekend run! She's Happy, Happy, Happy!

Shortie (AKA. Dave)
    • 48 posts
    May 19, 2013 9:21 AM PDT
    Glad you got it going Dave ! Its always good when she is happy, always good !!!!!! Enjoy your trip, be safe ! Glad to be of help.
    • 19037 posts
    May 20, 2013 1:00 AM PDT
    GOOD!