Harley Engine Idle Temperature Management

• 48 posts
    May 14, 2013 1:04 PM PDT
    I've searched and didnt find any info on this so here goes. I have a 2012 Road Glide Ultra. I traded a 2012 Road Glide Custome for this bike. They both have/had Idle Temp Management on them where at idle, temp exceeds the programmed limit, the rear cylinder injector shuts off and helps cool the engine by pumping air only. Cool system. On the Custom it worked fine. Comes in on the Ultra and the front cylinder starts spark knocking so bad I can here it over the tunes ! People in traffic stare !  Really dont care about the stares, just the engine. I specialize in fuel injection/electronic engine controls on cages and have for years. Spark knock of this magnitude would burn cylinders down in most car engines. My dealer tells me its normal because its so hot. BULL I said. Its only 85 degrees outside, the Custom didn't do it. If anyone here has the same type issues with the new 103 and found some resolution, please let me know. I considered pulling off and allowing the front cylinder to melt...wonder if that would be normal....
    • 2 posts
    May 15, 2013 4:17 PM PDT
    Something is fishy there. First off, the system should not adversely effect the front cylinder at all. You defiantly shouldn't be getting a loud knock. I would take it to a different dealer. They should hook it up to Digital Tech and be able to check all the sensors in a few minutes. From there they can troubleshoot your issue.

In the meantime I would shut the system down at idle. As soon as it kicks on just roll the throttle forward and hold until it shuts off and the engine runs normally. BTW, you can have the dealer shut it off permanently with the digital tech if you want.

GOOD LUCK!
    • 48 posts
    June 2, 2013 3:58 PM PDT
    Just to put this to rest....it was fuel. The Velero station right down the street being the culprit. I usually by fuel there or at a Phillips behind us at work. No other changes except that. If I fill with premium at the 66, no pinging. Velero ? sounds like shes coming apart. Obviously an octane issue, not temperature. case closed.