Can I use car antifreeze ?

• May 10, 2013 8:26 AM PDT
    I have a 2001 Hionda ACE 750...can I use car antifreeze in it? It never seems to be low butjust in case is the antifreezw/summer coolant the same for cars and motorcycles? 

• May 10, 2013 8:55 AM PDT
    No, you can not (unless for emergencies on the road). The have different properties. If you use auto....flush and replace ASAP.
  • May 10, 2013 9:54 AM PDT
    There are only a few car coolants you can use, they have to be "siI use licate Free" and say so or your water pump will go out! I used a "Dex Cool" anti free that says no "Silicates " etc on the bottle!
  • May 10, 2013 12:42 PM PDT
    As long as the antifreeze is aproved for use in aluminum engines, you are good to go. It should say on the container " safe to use in aluminum engines " I use the 50/50 pre-mixed with no problems !!
    • 3006 posts
    May 12, 2013 4:24 AM PDT
    I use only motorcycle specific coolant,not sure why you would use any type of auto coolant except in emergency,n only w/caution.
    sweet looking ride !!!
  • May 13, 2013 10:48 PM PDT
    I was told by an older motorcycle mechanic years ago " That if you want to buy car parts for you bike then maybe you should drive a car and give up riding"
    • 130 posts
    May 15, 2013 4:49 AM PDT
    I've always used Prestone, either color.
    I have three Honda motorcycles one with nearly 200,000 trouble-free miles, the others with over 70,000, each.
    Coolant containing silicate is a rarity, these days. There is no difference in auto and motorcycle coolant, except for additives used in serious racing.

Go to Walmart, buy coolant, mix 50/50 with filtered or distilled water.