Riding Alaska this summer?

• Buz
    April 23, 2013 3:38 PM PDT
     Anybody else heading north this summer?
    • 3006 posts
    April 24, 2013 4:10 AM PDT
    Sounds like the trip of a lifetime.From what I have heard your two main worries will be avoiding the wildlife,and the big rigs.

stay safe n enjoy the ride
  • April 24, 2013 7:34 AM PDT
    This trip has always been on my bucket list. Are you planning this trip with your sportster or a duo sport bike?
  • April 24, 2013 10:37 AM PDT
    I think I would be more comfortable riding my XR600R instead of my streetglide. That way if I see something off the road I will be able to go check it out. Let us know how it is because this is one ride I have always wanted to do.
  • Buz
    April 24, 2013 11:09 AM PDT
    Sadly, I'm gonna miss my Harley, bought one one of them dispose able KLR650's for the trip. I've got 8 wks for the trip so I'm hoping to find lots of fun side roads. The xr600r would be more fun, but the klr was easy to outfit with hard panniers.
  • April 24, 2013 1:23 PM PDT

I wouldn't be that hard on the KLR. Fairly reliable and with the 6 gal. tank, you have excellant driving range. Gas stations could be few and far in between fills. One of my concerns would be the comfort of the seat. I was thinking the G 650 GS Sertão would be a great choice too, but then more money. Anyway, Enjoy your trip and come back here and share your experience.

• Buz
    April 24, 2013 4:17 PM PDT
    yep Fred that seat got my attention fairly quickly, I upgraded to a sargent seat!
    And I'm not posting a ride report here, apperently threads dissapear without warning!!
    • 2 posts
    April 25, 2013 11:30 AM PDT
    Been a long time dream and why the Ulysses was selected.
    But alas, the passage of time and the vararies of the market have made that one impossible. - It appears will be working until:
    1. A change in administration - or -
    2. The end of time
    whichever comes 1st.

Blog or post a lot - That dream stubbornly refuses to die.
  • Buz
    April 25, 2013 2:02 PM PDT
    99Savage I feel your pain! I bought the KLR two years ago for this trip, but couldn't get the time off. Then this year the time fell into my lap, but with only a one month warning!! Those that speak klr, it was then a scramble to do the doohicky, put heated grips on, mount bags, etc..
    • 1855 posts
    April 25, 2013 2:38 PM PDT
    Gee Buzz, you live in Washington. Alaska is a long way from Ohio but we're heading NW. Will we make it? Beats the hell out of me but we'll be on the road.

Peace
  • Buz
    April 25, 2013 3:14 PM PDT
    Hey Jimmycorn, NW is kinda vague, got a goal in mind? What r your travel dates? I'll be on the road all of May and June, going to Prudhoe Bay and Inuvik, and a few points in between. If our paths cross I'll buy ya a beer or two, hope to see ya on the road!
    • 1855 posts
    April 25, 2013 3:20 PM PDT
    Just two? LOL
    I don't know if NW from OHIO is all that vague man. Wyoming, Montana, for the most part. We're heading out end of May, early June. I don't see Alaska as the goal but with me ya just never know. When the weather turns, my age dictates I do as well. I still feel the affects of open heart surgery when the temps drop below 50.

Peace
  • Buz
    April 25, 2013 3:36 PM PDT
    ha ha!! yep just two, but come on, there at the far end!! You've got some awesome country to pass through, are you planning on doing some of the big passes, beartooth pass, road to the sun, etc.. hotest bartender I've seen yet was in Wisdom MT, god i gotta get back over there!!
    • 81 posts
    April 26, 2013 1:05 AM PDT
    Buz enjoy that ride. Back in 83 I made the trip from Pa to Fairbanks in a cage (and back a few years later)and loved every mile of it.its going to be so much nicer on a scoot. Some day I would like to do it on a bike. Again enjoy and stay safe.
  • April 27, 2013 11:10 AM PDT

done 4 trips that way..depending on which way you go the long way through St John or through St George towards prince Rupert and turn off at Kitiwanga ( hwy 37) which is the shorter way to Alaska. My preference is that hwy 37as it has quite the scenery crossing 31 trestle bridges  which is one way only, so watch out for oncoming vehicles. Make sure your full of fuel before heading up hwy 37 and fuel up til you reach the alcan hwy. You'll find the scenery quite spectacular with several stops along the way. Stop in Whitehorse overnight if you get the chance for a look see around the town as well as the historical aspect of the surrounding area.  The only danger you'll encounter is wildlife as there are an abundance of them and I would refrain from riding in the evening or at least take it slow.  Once on the Alcan isn't too bad as its all paved  as I rode through there when it wasn't and lawdy sakes did I go through tires. Have a good journey .

• Buz
    April 27, 2013 6:06 PM PDT
    Head'n out tomorrow, thanks for the tips! I'll be going up 37. No set schedule, just a lot of idea's of where I want to go, still pretty cold way up north, so I'll wind around BC a bit. Planning on riding by the Gang Ranch, and out to Bella Coola, Probably swing through Barkerville, tho doubt much is open yet.
    • 4 posts
    May 25, 2013 3:29 AM PDT
     Finally got some good weather up here in Alaska to enjoy a good  ride without 20 lbs of clothes. Thought I would give a suggestion for those coming to Alaska. Think about the Alaska Ferry System as this is a great ride. Leave Bellingham, Wa and you can hit many ports of  call. Ketchikan, Sitka, Juneau with a few more depending on your time frame.
    You can have one heck of a ride if you come up and get off in Valdez, Go up to Tok, then over to Fairbanks. Return through Denali to end up down in Whittier to catch the Ferry back to Wa,
    Biker traveling down the road