Looking for riding partners in WV panhandle?

• April 2, 2013 12:46 AM PDT
    Hi, I am new to cyclefish and looking for some riding partners located near the Martinsburg, WV area for weekend rides. The weather is FINALLY starting to turn toward spring and I am itching to go riding more. If you are interested in hooking up please let me know?  Thanx-G
  • April 2, 2013 2:55 AM PDT
    Welcome to CF, from NW Iowa. Our weather is also starting to warm up. We've been planning trips all winter. Now we can finally get out and ride.
  • April 2, 2013 3:04 AM PDT
    I hear ya man. It has been long winter and folks around my area are crabby. Looking forward to having knees in the breeze!
  • April 8, 2013 9:57 AM PDT
    i live close to you, have you ever been to Hillbilly heaven in BS, they have some rides through out the summer.
    • 1855 posts
    April 8, 2013 2:10 PM PDT
    One thought here. I didn't know W. Virginia had a "panhandle". I was born in Logan btw. Still, hope ya find some ridin' folk.

Peace
  • April 9, 2013 12:13 AM PDT
    Hi Breeze, I ride to BS a lot, in fact was there 3 times this past weekend. I have gone past Hillbilly heaven many times and have never taken time to stop in yet. I guess I will have to change that - thanks! The lady in the Earth Dog Cafe is a good source for local charity rides and parties too! Maybe we can hook up for ride sometime?
  • April 9, 2013 12:21 AM PDT
    Hi Jimmy, yeah WV has a panhandle on the far east side that borders VA and MD, with PA VERY close by. Harpers Ferry, WV is in the panhandle and the town alone borders VA and MD which are across the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers..
    • 1855 posts
    April 9, 2013 1:16 AM PDT
    bootscootin wrote...
    Hi Jimmy, yeah WV has a panhandle on the far east side that borders VA and MD, with PA VERY close by. Harpers Ferry, WV is in the panhandle and the town alone borders VA and MD which are across the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers..

After looking at the map I figured that would be the best place to call the "panhandle".   I've ridden over that way countless times.  Rte 50 from Ohio to Winchester, Va. is a great ride. Been on Rolling Thunder over a dozen times (always hot and humid and raining that week-end).  I love W. Virginia and plan on having my ashes spread out over there.  Of course Logan is still a nasty, dirty town I'm afraid.  And as much as I love WVA and my kin, I'm glad my daddy moved us out of there when I was a kid.  The thought of working in the mines around Logan was the only alternative to a life and not a very pleasant one IMHO.  All 8 of my uncles died in the mines or because of the mines.  Still gotta couple of cousins workin' the mines and the SAY it's better than years ago.

Thanks for clearing up the panhandle thing. 

Peace
  • April 9, 2013 11:47 PM PDT
    Hey Jimmy, I agree with you that WV has some beautiful scenery and great riding roads. I really like living where I do for the most part, but like anywhere else it has some of its places, people and moments that take it down a notch or two. I have never been to Logan or lived in a mining town, but I have passed through some other mining towns and they all look like they aren't the best places for a kid to grow up in as far as job opportunities and staying in the area that you grew up in as you become an adult. The Appalachians as a whole is a great place to be and ride and I am glad to share that with my kids.

Whenever you make it over toward the "panhandle" area again let me know? Maybe we can hook up for a ride-
    Boots
  • April 10, 2013 1:23 PM PDT
    I've been out a hand full of time so far this year, I was going to ride today but i help with the local fire company and of course we had a call. But hope someday i will see you on the road somewhere.