"A momentary lapse of awareness"

• 611 posts
    March 29, 2013 12:26 PM PDT
     I posted this a few years ago and it is as true now as then... Look Twice, Save a Life!

"A momentary lapse of awareness"

·         Posted by Edgewalker54 on June 6, 2011 at 11:56am

Five years ago I was in my cage and heading to town to run a few errands. I live 30 miles from the closest town and I was in a bit of a hurry. It was a gray, drizzly day when I pulled up to the stop sign and that's where it happened. "A momentary lapse of awareness".

The rural road stop sign is located in such a way that you have to pull ALMOST into traffic to see to the left. So, I looked to the right and as I rolled forward, I looked left. Actually, I looked far-left, saw nothing and started to pull out.

That's when I realized there was a chopper coming. No headlight, flat black, almost to my car and doing 60. I had looked PAST him when I looked left. BEYOND him. I immediately turned right out of his path and (fortunately) there was no oncoming traffic so he had moved into the oncoming lane to avoid the assh**e that had almost caused this wreck.... ME! I felt that I richly deserved the 'tweety' that he flipped me as he roared by.

I have to admit that I was shaken by my 'lapse' and I pulled off the road to have a smoke and calm my heart rate back to something normal. As I sat there replaying the scene in my mind, I came to a few conclusions. First, I had almost caused the (possible) death of another human by my inattention and haste. To the rider, I had now entered into the "Hall of Shame" in his mind, the list of rotten bast**ds that had almost pulled out in front of him. Second, if he would have hit me in the driver’s door, I could have lost my life.

All because of "A momentary lapse of awareness". I post this here not to be vilified or smak-talked. Rather to remind everyone that drives or rides, BE AWARE! ALL THE TIME! I was within seconds of becoming a statistic... all because of "A momentary lapse of awareness". Learn from my experience. Do what I do now. When I pull up and stop, I look left, right, left again as I start to pull out and I am focusing on the entire road to the left. Near and far.

Edge "Looking" Walker

• 44 posts
    March 29, 2013 2:13 PM PDT
    I feel you brother I have been there you are so right LOOK TWICE SAVE A LIFE GOD Bless You and Ride safe
  • March 29, 2013 3:51 PM PDT
    Had to get crazy today with a left turn cage looking past my other half out in front of me to my right.They saw me and was trying to beat me.....I dropped a gear and opened the throttle to close the gap....only then did they notice the bike out in front to my right.....I know I shouldn't have floored it in that very bad situation,but somehow instinct showed me what was happening...it could have gone all kinds of wrong with the cage taking us both out,but they slammed on brakes in the turn lane.