Gadget Freaks Only

• 2 posts
    March 27, 2013 11:31 AM PDT
    Found this one in latest edition of "Design News". - What could be better, kick start motorcycles and electronic gizmos?

Beyound my skill level, my electrical knowled stops at the 60 cycle stuff and been a long time since had a kick start scooter but looks like an interesting project for somebody with the skills.

Gadget Freak Case #235: Ignition Control Unit for Harley Davidson Panhead Engine

Part of the experience of riding a Panhead comes from the era before motorcycles had electric starters. Kick-starting a big twin Harley engine isn't hard if you know what you are doing. If you don't do it with the right technique and respect, she might throw you over the handlebars. I know a lot of Panhead owners who swear their motor starts on the first kick, which is probably true for the most part. But they will also tell you everything must be just right for it to come off on the first kick. I've also watched a few guys kick until they were blue in the face when things weren't just right.

www.designnews.com/author.asp type="_moz" />

• 16822 posts
    March 27, 2013 6:10 PM PDT
    Very interesting.
    • 19031 posts
    March 28, 2013 1:55 AM PDT
    My old Bonnie was kick start. If kept tuned it was easy except below 32 degrees. I NEVER was able to start it first time below freezing. And once I just positioned the spring loaded kicker and moved it about a millimeter and it started. Guessing that time all was aligned perfectly and when the points sparked it fired tha gas in the chamber.