Engraving

• February 22, 2013 3:35 PM PST
    As most of you know, a lot of chrome on metric bikes is really on plastic pieces. (way too much on my bike)

I'm curious if it is possible to engrave thies pieces and replate them?
  • February 22, 2013 4:32 PM PST
    In general yes but thickness might give you problems with cracking due to vibration if you cut to deep trying to engrave and not going deep enough will look like crap once you re-chrome it. You can if possible support it from the back - fiberglass / second layer - you can stabilize it and engrave it and rechrome it - what are you trying to engrave?
  • February 23, 2013 1:06 PM PST
    Air cleaner cover, spark plug covers, and gauge cluster at least.
    • 1855 posts
    February 24, 2013 12:19 AM PST
    A cool look I've noticed on some plastic pieces is done with a wood burning kit. It's rustic but not bad lookinng
    Peace
    • 2 posts
    February 24, 2013 10:30 AM PST
    Priced chrome plating lately?
  • March 1, 2013 7:30 AM PST
    Ya. That's why I'm hesitant. I want to go copper.
    • 284 posts
    March 2, 2013 2:49 AM PST
    A lot of etching is done with chemicals. I use to do do glass and metal, you basically cover the item, then cut out the pattern and apply the chemical. The longer you keep it on the deeper it eats away at the unprotected material. I use to add unflavored jello to the chemical and helped a lot.

Also a small sand blaster will etch metal and glass really well. You just have to get use to how to seal the area you are etching so it comes out at the correct depth.

After X amount of time you wash it off and then take the protective coating off and you now have etched material.

Adding Gold Leaf or Copper Leaf after you etch it, you dry it apply the leaf and then peel off the protective coating and you end up with the engraving a different material.
    • 2 posts
    March 2, 2013 8:06 AM PST
    A lot of etching is done with chemicals. I use to do do glass and metal, you basically cover the item, then cut out the pattern and apply the chemical. The longer you keep it on the deeper it eats away at the unprotected material. I use to add unflavored jello to the chemical and helped a lot.

Also a small sand blaster will etch metal and glass really well. You just have to get use to how to seal the area you are etching so it comes out at the correct depth.

After X amount of time you wash it off and then take the protective coating off and you now have etched material.

Adding Gold Leaf or Copper Leaf after you etch it, you dry it apply the leaf and then peel off the protective coating and you end up with the engraving a different material.
    Good thinking - Wish I had thought of a couple of them.

For non motorcycle related stuff I worked with a powder vendor. - There are some amazing powder coatings out there, - Did a job in silver powder coat and it looked like honest-to-g, silver

For plastic would have to find something that cures at a low temperature, - Probably something out there, they powder coat wood now.
  • March 2, 2013 12:56 PM PST
    they powder coat wood now.

Wow! Really?
    • 16837 posts
    March 2, 2013 3:33 PM PST
    Here is a guy right here on CycleFish to ask about engraving: http://www.cyclefish.com/chigger/
  • March 2, 2013 6:11 PM PST
    Great idea SilverSportster - will need to try that
  • March 3, 2013 1:18 PM PST
    Wow! Very cool!